Iowa Wesleyan University seeks motivated, high-energy individuals, to join the Iowa Wesleyan Athletic Department. These graduate assistants will aid in continuing upward trends in competitive success, recruitments, retention, and student-athlete experience. These individuals are responsible for assisting the head coach, and other staff members to administer and organize all aspects of an NAIA athletics program. IW offers 18 intercollegiate athletic programs and is a member of the NAIA, Association of Independent Institutions Conference, Heart of America Athletic Conference (Wrestling Only), and the North Star Athletic Conference (Football Only).
Specific elements include but are not limited to:
- Coach the position(s) or segments necessary as directed by the head coach.
- Assists in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of practices and game plans as necessary.
- Assists head coach in oversight of academic programming.
- Recruits individual student-athletes or territories as directed by the head coach.
- Implement strength program.
- Watch film and work one on one with student athletes as needed.
- Oversee athlete study hall hours and report on academic progress
- Assist coaching staff with administrative duties related to hosting events, scheduling travel, and facility management.
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance.
- Understands and follows NAIA and conference rules and regulations.
- Drives university or rental vehicles as needed (may be required to obtain CDL).
- Performs special and/or additional duties as required by the Director of Athletics.
Compensation and Proposed Work Schedule:
- The Graduate Assistant’s tuition waiver and stipend is compensation for working approximately 29 hours each week.
- Weekly work schedule will be determined by student and supervisor.
- Weekends, evenings, and possible travel will be required for this position to participate in scheduled events
- Successfully admitted into the Iowa Wesleyan University Graduate Program
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Competitive experience required.
- Coaching experience preferred.
- Knowledge of NAIA rules and regulations.
- Good organizational skills
- Computer knowledge
- People skills, working relationships with staff, faculty, student athletes
- Understanding of confidentiality
- Time Management skills
- Understanding of student success on the field, in practices and in the classroom.
- Valid US Driver’s License with the ability to be authorized to drive IW fleet vehicles for team transportation to and from away contests required.
- Must be available for night and weekend responsibilities.
All applicants must have applied for admissions and have been accepted into the Iowa Wesleyan University graduate program in order to apply.
Qualified candidates who have been accepted into the Iowa Wesleyan University Graduate Program, must upload their letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references below. Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if further information is needed. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.
Tiger Athletics: Iowa Wesleyan University strives to provide its student-athletes the opportunity to be successful in life and sports. Engaged in the NAIA, Tiger athletics is currently a proud member of the NSAA, CAC, and the Heart.