Students completing the Substance Abuse Counselor Concentration will complete all coursework necessary to be certified as a level 1 Alcohol and Drug Addiction counselor. Upon graduation, students will be ready to take the licensure exam for their and will only need to complete additional practicum hours.
A degree in Substance Abuse Counseling can launch students into entry level career paths such as:
- Create and implement treatment plans for individuals with addiction
- Provide group therapy in a rehabilitation center
- Educate families about how to support someone with substance use problems
- Advocate for laws and policies that impact people with addiction, such as the use of drug courts that promote treatment over imprisonment
- Lead research on the causes and treatment of substance use
- Develop prevention programs that target youth in the community