Iowa Wesleyan University is firmly committed to the philosophy and practice of a residential University. We believe that the opportunity to live and study in the community is a primary and essential element of such a philosophy. The University stresses a campus living environment of civility and respect that fosters student learning and success. In support of the mission here at Iowa Wesleyan, all full-time (12 hours/semester), unmarried students, who do not live with parents at their primary residence within 60 miles of campus are required to live in IW University residential facilities for the time in which they are students at Iowa Wesleyan.

Exceptions to this residency requirement may be made by meeting at least one of the following criteria:

  • 23 years of age or older on the first day of classes in the fall semester
  • Married
  • Students living with dependent children
  • Military veterans with at least two years active military duty
  • Students fulfilling their student teaching requirements if placed beyond a reasonable driving distance.


Due to the limited number of air-conditioned rooms in ST and McKibbin, priority will be given to students who need an air-conditioned room for medical needs. Once the medical needs have been met, the rooms with AC units, and then reviewed and assigned based on seniority and application dates. Students who are assigned a room with an AC unit, each student in the room will be charged $100.00 per semester.

Regardless of age, students are not permitted to possess, consume or distribute alcohol on campus and within the residence hall.

Being in the presence, in possession or being under the influence of alcohol is in direct violation of the IW Alcohol Policy. Students found in violation of the alcohol policy will be required to dispose of all alcohol present during the incident at the time of the incident. If a student does not comply with the directive given, an alcohol sanction will be applied and the student may be sent through the Student Conduct Process.


Search Guidelines:

Residence Life staff may search a room for alcohol, controlled substances, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia when one or more of the following criteria is present:

  • Visible alcohol, illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
  • The smell of alcohol or illegal drugs (ex: odor of marijuana)
  • Intoxicated behavior
  • Someone is vomiting or showing other signs of alcohol poisoning or serious drug reaction
  • Noise, sounds, language associated with alcohol or drug use
  • A reliable complaint of the presence, consumption or distribution occurring

A search of alcohol, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia consists of looking in the following locations within the room/suite:

  • Student rooms
  • All refrigerators
  • Drawers
  • Closets
  • Bathrooms
  • Under beds
  • Any other location deemed necessary for review by a Residential Life staff member with probable cause

Recommended Sanctions for Alcohol use include but are not limited to:

  • 1st violation: Fine of $100 and/or other sanctions as assigned (i.e., Online Education)
  • 2nd violation: Fine of $150 and and/or other sanctions as assigned (i.e., Online Education)
  • 3rd violation: Fine of $200 and a possible room change or removal from campus housing.

Sanctions for Illegal Substances, Drug Use and Drug Paraphernalia:

At any time, a drug violation can result in suspension or dismissal. However, as an educational environment, when mutually beneficial for the student involved and the campus community and environment, the following sanctions will be utilized.

  • 1st Violation: Fine of $150. Student is placed on probation and/or other sanctions as assigned. Failed future drug tests would be considered a second offense.
  • 2nd Violation: Fine of $200. Student is placed on probation and/or other sanctions as assigned.
  • 3rd Violation: If remaining enrolled following Panel Presentation, a third offense results in suspension or dismissal from the University.

Communication with Parents / Legal Guardians and athletic coaches is always possible due to concerns of health and safety associated with alcohol consumption and illegal drug use. Your FERPA request does not supersede the ability to contact Parent(s)/Guardian(s) or athletic coaches.


The policy of Iowa Wesleyan University reflects the belief that alcohol and other forms of drug addiction are serious illnesses which are usually preceded by a history of substance abuse with inappropriate and destructive behavior patterns. In view of this, the University is committed to assist any member of the student community whose behavior shows signs of alcohol/drug abuse or addiction. This policy is established to provide the means for the University to identify and refer students who suffer from alcohol or other drug abuse or addictions to treatment alternatives.

Intervention is intended where alcohol or other drug use is a contributing factor in one or more of the following:

  1. Disruptive and/or nuisance behavior
  2. Excessive intoxication
  3. Civil or criminal offenses
  4. Destruction of property
  5. Non-attendance at class
  6. Deterioration of academic performance
  7. Sexual assault or harassment in which alcohol or other drug use was a factor

Where alcohol or other drug abuse is suspected, any interested party having first-hand knowledge of the situation or event in question may refer the student to the Office of Student Development, wherein an informal assessment on the merits of the referral will be made. If the assessment suggests further action, every effort will be made by the Office of Student Development to encourage voluntary cooperation from the student with the intervention and assessment processes recommended by the University.
Students, who by their behavior, are uncooperative, or who so request, will be granted an informal hearing to review the assessment recommended by the Office of Student Development. The hearing, should it be required, will focus on the specific behavioral and/or “use” problems that have been observed and reported. The student will be given an opportunity to respond to these reports, after which the Vice President for Student Development or their designee will make a final decision as to whether a formal assessment/evaluation for substance abuse by a substance abuse professional is required. The student’s failure to attend the hearing, or to follow through with the formal assessment/evaluation (if so required) or any subsequent treatment recommendations made by a substance abuse professional, will result with the student being withdrawn from classes at Iowa Wesleyan. Re-entry into the University will be permitted only upon successful completion of substance abuse treatment and establishment of an ongoing recovery program such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous.
When, in the judgment of a staff person, a student is transported for medical attention or monitoring in response to alcohol or other chemical use, the involved student will be responsible for any costs incurred.

Students may use bicycles on the sidewalks, understanding that pedestrians have the right of way. High quality locks and chain are recommended since Iowa Wesleyan is not responsible for stolen property. Residents are to store their bicycles on the storage available outside the residence halls. Residents may not store their bicycles in residence halls, hallways, stairways, bathrooms or any community spaces. If a bicycle is found in any of the prohibited spaces/areas mentioned above, a fine may be added to the resident’s account. Any bicycles left on campus at the start of summer, becomes property of Iowa Wesleyan and will be disposed of at the discretion of the university.

While University housing is normally restricted to full-time students, part-time students may request permission to live in university housing and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Office of Student Development for inquiries.

The possession, use or distribution of any controlled substances, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia are strictly prohibited on campus or within the residence halls. Being in the presence of controlled substances or illegal drugs, regardless of possession or use, is considered a violation of the drug policy. Circumstances may warrant violations of the drug policy for also being in the presence of drug paraphernalia rather than possessing it.

Zero Tolerance: The University refuses to accept drug use, possession or distribution of any controlled substances. To that end, strict application of this policy is always expected.

If a student will not comply with a directive to allow a search, a drug violation sanction will be applied. See “Code of Conduct, Section 19” for additional information regarding IW policies regarding illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Alcohol is the most abused drug in society as well as on university campuses. Alcohol is directly involved in many injuries, assaults and the majority of deaths in people under age 25. Other commonly abused illegal drugs include marijuana, cocaine, stimulants, hallucinogens, depressants, narcotics, steroids and inhalants. Legal drugs such as caffeine, nicotine, over- the-counter and prescription drugs also have wide use and associated health risks.
Health risks of using alcohol or other drugs include both physical and psychological effects. The health consequences of drugs depend on the frequency, duration and intensity of use. For all drugs, there is a risk of overdose. Overdose can result in coma, convulsions, psychosis or death. Combinations of certain drugs, such as alcohol and barbiturates, can be lethal.
The purity and strength of doses of illegal drugs are uncertain.
Continued use of substances can lead to tolerance (requiring more and more of a drug to get the same effect), dependence (physical or psychological need) or withdrawal (a painful, difficult and dangerous symptom when stopping use of drugs). Long-term chronic use of drugs can lead to malnutrition, organ damage to the body and psychological problems.
The risk of AIDS and other diseases increases if drugs are injected. The consumption of alcohol or drugs by pregnant women may cause abnormalities in babies. For more information about the risks associated with the use of alcohol and other drugs, individuals may contact the campus nurse or the Counseling Services office.


Appropriate proof/health forms/documentation/waivers from a medical practitioner of the following immunizations and tests must be received by the campus nurse at Iowa Wesleyan before moving into the residence halls or attending classes.


  • Proof and date of having had measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), or
  • Provide documentation of immunization for two doses of MMR after 1980, or
  • Written documentation from your doctor that you should not receive the MMR immunization at this time.
    Students unable to comply with one of the above (and born after 1956) must be re-immunized at the student’s expense.

Mantoux Skin Test: Students are also required to have completed a Mantoux skin test for tuberculosis within a year prior to their arrival on campus and must provide verification of any follow-up treatment if necessary.

Religious exemption: A religious exemption may be granted to the student only if immunization conflicts with a genuine and sincere religious belief, and not based merely on philosophical, scientific moral, personal, or medical opposition to immunizations. A certificate of immunization exemption for religious reasons shall contain, the applicant’s last name, first name, and date of birth and shall bear the signature of the applicant

Health forms/documentation/waivers must be received by the campus nurse at Iowa Wesleyan University before moving into the residence halls or attending classes.


An off-campus housing application should be submitted to the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life if you meet the off-campus consideration criteria and have a desire/need to live off campus. To submit an application for off-campus housing, please send an email to the Office of Student Development.
Requests that do not fall under the exceptions are reviewed by the Committee of Student Development. The Committee is chaired by the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and meets monthly.
You will be expected to provide the required documentation in order to be approved for off campus living, whether that be medical, or any other documents asked for by the Committee. Parent(s)/guardian(s) of the student requesting to live at home must submit statements of documentation to certify that their student meets the criteria and is, therefore, eligible to reside off-campus.
If the University discovers that the student is residing off-campus but does not meet one of the above criteria, and/or has submitted false documentation, the University reserves the right to bill for room and board. Students living off-campus without official approval from the Committee are also subject to referral to the Student Conduct process.
Off-campus housing applications are due by July 15 for the Fall semester, and November 15 for the Spring semester. Application submitted after the above dates are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Graduate Students:

Graduate students are typically not allowed to reside in campus housing. Graduate students who wish to reside on campus must request permission by contacting the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life in the Office of Student Development.

International Students:

The experience of spending a semester or more in the United States is significantly enhanced by a full immersion in the campus experience. Therefore, it is IW policy that all international students will live in our residence halls or their entire enrollment, where they will interact with domestic students and participate in many University activities, exposing them to the breadth of American culture and life. Special exemption to this policy can be made on a case-by-case basis and international students interested in living off-campus must submit an off- campus housing application to the Office of Student Development.


  • When illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia are found by any University staff it is reasonable to assume drugs are present.
  • The University reserves the right to involve the local police department when they feel it is appropriate.
  • Law enforcement involvement does not eliminate the Student Conduct Process from occurring. If law enforcement is involved, the legal process and the University conduct process will run concurrently.
  • The University collaborates and cooperates with local law enforcement agencies such as the Mount Pleasant Police Department to enforce drug laws and may perform random drug sweeps at any point during the academic year in coordination with the Office of Student Development and the Provost.


Director of Residence Life
The director is responsible for the overall operation of on-campus housing, which includes McKibbin, ST, Nemitz, Juckette Hall, State Street Apartments, Adams Street Apartments, and university-owned houses. The Director is primarily responsible for the budget, expenditures, and construction. The Director directly oversees the Area Coordinators, Apartment Managers, and Resident Assistants. The Director’s office is located in the Office of Student Development.

Area Coordinator (AC)
A full-time professional staff member with responsibilities for a designated housing area who reside within the residence halls. It is the responsibility of the AC to supervise and train the resident assistant staff, manage the operation of the halls, implement rules and regulations, and student disciplinary issues.

Apartment Manager
The Apartment Manager is an upperclassman who serves as a resource for the RA’s and students, coordinates programming efforts, and helps develop a comfortable and productive living environment. The apartment manager directly works and reports to the area coordinator.

Resident Assistants (RA)
An upperclass student who lives within his/her designated area. The RA’s serve as an information source to students, and aid in the transition to Iowa Wesleyan. The RA’s provide assistance and referrals to residents, coordinate programming, and enforces residential and campus policies and regulations. The RA directly reports to the Area Coordinator.

Assistant to the Vice President of Student Development & Housing Coordinator
Provides administrative support to the Vice President of Student Development and assists in the coordination of housing and various programs within the student development office.



  • All appliances must be UL approved and should not exceed a voltage of 120.
  • Small microwaves and refrigerators should not exceed 4.0 cubic feet.
    A microwave is the only cooking appliance permitted in S-T and McKibbin Halls.
    Space heaters, heat or sun lamps, halogen lamps, air conditioners, or open flame appliances, hazardous materials including but not limited to gas, propane, and other flammable chemicals, are not permitted under any circumstances.
    Use of extension cords is permitted when only one item is plugged into it. You may use more than one appliance on a circuit if you use breaker-protected, multi-plug power strips. We encourage you to use surge protectors on all electronic equipment.

No pets except for fish (defined as animal with fins and gills, living under water) in small aquariums (10 gallon or less limit) or an emotional support animal (see Emotional Support Animal Policy) are allowed in the residence halls, apartments or houses. All animals visiting with friends and family to visit, must remain outside all residence halls, apartments, and houses. Any student found with an animal in their residence will be charged a $100.00 fine and must remove the animal within 24 hours or animal control will be called to remove the animal. If the pet poses an immediate threat to residents and/or the Iowa Wesleyan community, civil authorities will be contacted for assistance. Pet owner(s) could face criminal or civil charges in addition to campus charges.

Students may not babysit in the residence halls.

IW students may not use university resources, spaces, or property for business or solicitation purposes. This includes the use of the university computer network, and computer lab equipment. Unauthorized selling, collecting of money, and promotion on campus or within any University building is not permitted. Students may not act as agents for business firms that entail solicitations or the receiving of business offers or goods on university property without permission of the University.

Bulletin boards provide residents information on issues, activities, events, services, policies, and general information happening in the residence halls or on campus. All decorations, flyers, brochures, and information must be approved by Residence Life prior to posting. Flyers, bulletins, brochures, and other materials may not be posted on main doors or windows. There are bulletin boards designated in each hall for flyers. Use staples or a push pin when posting on the bulletin board. Postings using any other adhesive may be removed and the person(s) or group(s) sponsoring the posting(s) may be billed for any damages resulting from the use of the inappropriate adhesive. Damaging and/or destroying the materials approved and appropriately displayed on residential bulletin boards may be considered vandalism and sanctioned accordingly.

Students who wish to remain on campus during Winter Break, and Spring Break must first request permission from their Area Coordinators. Charges are on a per day rate.
A per-day rate will be charged to students approved to stay for reasons listed below:

  • Your home is more than 500 miles from Mt. Pleasant
  • You are an international student
  • You are working on campus or participating in a university-sponsored event, internship, or student teaching (University advisor or supervisor must verify)
    During break periods, food services may be available at a cost to the student.

Students are not to return early from break to the residence halls. If a student returns to their residence early, without prior approval from the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life, they are subject to disciplinary action.

There will be times when a floor and/or area will hold a community meeting. Residences are required to attend all scheduled mandatory hall meetings and are responsible to any information presented at these meetings. Failure to attend a mandatory community hall meeting will result in a $50.00 fine.

Students can connect their Wi-Fi devices to the University wireless network. Instruction can be found at www.iw.edu/campus-technology.

NO personal routers (wired or wireless) are allowed on campus.
Installation of electrical or antenna wiring beyond the student’s room will not be allowed. Unauthorized wiring or any situation resulting in damage, will be removed by maintenance staff. All expenses associated with this removal will be billed to the resident(s) of the room.

Computer Lab Locations:

  • Science Hall 114
  • Chadwick Library – 1st Floor
  • Nursing: Science Hall 315
  • Off of Academic Success and Inclusive Support (OASIS): Chadwick Library – 2nd Floor
  • Music: Old Main 203
  • Design Center: Hershey West

Printers & Copiers:
Computer labs have computers and printers for student use. Students receive $50 printing credit each semester. Remaining balances are reset to $50 at the beginning of the following semester. Any remaining amounts do not carry over term to term.
If a student uses their entire semester credit, additional printing amounts can be purchased by visiting the manager of Student Accounts on the main flood or PEO.

Residents who violate residence hall policies during finals week will face immediate disciplinary action and may be asked to leave the hall immediately. The housing contract expires 24 hours after the completion of the student’s last examination of the spring semester unless granted an extension by the Area Coordinator or Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life.

All residents are responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of residence halls. Residents may file a complaint about another resident. To file a formal complaint, contact the Area Coordinator or Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life in the Student Development Office.

Students are prohibited from damaging, defacing and/or destroying, intentionally or accidentally, university property or the property of another resident or guest. Students will be held responsible for the restitution of any damages they, or their guests, cause. Students may also face disciplinary action. Students may be held accountable for damages associated with the property of other students or university property. Students may be held responsible for damages they cause intentionally or accidentally. If your negligence results in damage to the property of others or to the university, you may be held responsible for the subsequent damages. A $20.00 administrative fee will be assessed in addition to the actual damage, cleaning charges, etc.

Decoration of public areas (including but not limited to outside of room doors, hallways, lounges, and bathrooms) shall be left to the discretion of the Area Coordinator. Items considered offensive, harassing, or pornographic are not permitted and will be removed. The use of tape, staples, nails, tacks, etc., for fastening articles on the walls, doors, and furniture is not permitted. Painting of student rooms is not permitted. The recessed molding near the ceiling in S-T and McKibbin is to be used for hanging pictures and bulletin boards. Violation will result in appropriate charges when the resident checks out of his/her room.
Residents who live within the residential facilities may use 3M Command Mounting/Picture Hanging strips to hang up campus approved decorations.

Students may elect to have holiday decorations in their rooms as long as the following protocols are followed:

  • All lights must be (light-emitting diode) LED. NO OTHER TYPE OF LIGHTS ARE ALLOWED. This includes rope lights.
  • Lights may NOT be hung from the walls, sprinklers, or ceilings.
  • Lights must plug DIRECTLY into the wall and not be connected to an outlet by an extension cord.
  • Lighted artificial Christmas trees may remain up, as long as they are lit by LED lights.
  • There can be NO decorations in the hallways.
  • Lights and extension cords cannot run under doors.
  • Lights may ONLY be on when there is someone in the room.
  • In addition- doors may NOT be wrapped in paper. Only 25% of your door may be covered. (This includes door decorations, signs, white boards, etc.).

Students requesting to check-in or out at times other than those designated, must do so, in writing, to at least two weeks prior. Prior to the start of the academic year, requests must be made to the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life. During the academic year, requests must be made to the Area Coordinator.

The Office of Student Development will provide a reasonable accommodation for residential facilities who satisfy the requirements of this policy to afford persons with mental health disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy their housing facilities.
Residents must contact the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life to request their emotional support animal to live in their dwelling. Residents must fill out the appropriate paperwork, submit medical documentation and veterinary records (when appropriate), and abide by the responsibilities set forth by the policy once the resident is approved to have an emotional support animal in their living area.

An Emotional Support Animal is defined, for purposes of this policy, as an animal whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being. While an animal could be trained, training is not required to perform a task related to emotional support. Any animal can qualify as an Emotional Support Animal as long as the individual provides the appropriate documentation. An Emotional Support Animal is not a Service Animal.

A resident must be approved by the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life BEFORE the animal is allowed to move into the dwelling. Residents must submit their request within 60 days of the beginning of the fall semester in order to be approved. Residents can apply during the school year and will be approved on a rolling basis. Submitting the paperwork does not guarantee approval.

Fire safety equipment (fire extinguishers, fire alarms, sprinkler system and smoke detectors) and evacuation/exit plans are installed in every building. Upon moving into a hall, become acquainted with the fire exit routes, locations of extinguishers, alarms, and hall evacuation routes and procedures.

State fire safety regulations stipulate that there shall be no combustible material in the hallways of the residence hall. It is imperative to keep hallways clear at all times for emergency exit purposes. Items found in the hallways will be confiscated and may result in charges to residents.

If you are in the building when a fire alarm goes off, all people must clear the building and report to their designated area and remain outside until given the all-clear by university staff or the emergency responders. Failure to evacuate the building may result in a monetary fine up to $100.00.

In the Event of a Fire:

  • Please pull the fire alarm as you evacuate the building and call 911.
  • DO NOT try to extinguish the fire.
  • Disabled persons unable to evacuate in a timely and safe manner should go to the nearest safe room facing the street, shut the door, open a window and hang an article of clothing from the window. This will indicate your presence to firefighters.
  • All other persons should evacuate the building to the designated meeting area:
    • Adams Street Apartments: Nemitz Suites Parking Lot
    • Juckette Hall: Parking lot, East side
    • McKibbin Hall: Grass area on East side
    • Nemitz Suites: Grass area on North side
    • Sheaffer-Trieschmann Hall: South side, in front of Hershey
    • State Street Apartments: Across the street on the North end

Fire Alarms
All guests and residents must immediately evacuate the building when the fire alarms sound. Students, should report immediately to their designated gathering point. The alarms are connected to the City of Mount Pleasant, and any alarm initiates response from the city fire department. False alarms result in a $500.00 charge from the city. The cost will be assessed to the floor or entire hall where the alarm was triggered, if the responsible persons are not identified.

Fire Exits
Fire exits may be used in cases of emergency. Use of fire exits at any other time will result in disciplinary action, including fines.

Fire Equipment, Alarms, and Extinguishers
Tampering with fire equipment endangers the safety of others, is a violation of Iowa law, and will be considered a serious offense by the University. All tampering and/or damage to fire equipment, includes but not limited to smoke detectors, will result in a fine of $200 for the offender AND criminal action may be taken. Pulling a fire alarm station creating a false alarm or intentionally causing a false alarm by other means will result in a $500.00 fine. Should the student have a legitimate need to discharge an extinguisher, this action must be reported immediately to an RA or Area Coordinator, and no fines will be assessed.

Prohibited Room Heating Devices:

  • Room heating devices not issued by IW Residence Life or Facilities Management is prohibited in all housing areas.
  • Space heaters, heat/sun lamps

Prohibited Decorations:

  • Parachutes, fish nets, wall and/or ceiling hangings, large flags, tapestries, loose carpeting and cardboard on the walls.
  • Oil lamps, kerosene oil lamps, candles with wicks, and incense are strictly prohibited in all residence areas (the use of Scentsy products is permitted)
  • Do not attach anything to the ceiling light fixture or ceiling mounted sprinklers and/or smoke detectors.

Cooking in the Residence Halls and Prohibited Cooking Devices

  • Cooking is not permitted in the residence hall student dorms, or in areas other than the kitchens of ST and Juckette Hall.
  • Electric frying pans, toaster ovens, electric skillets, deep fat fryers, George Foreman- type grills, toasters, slow cookers and anything with an open flame or exposed heating coil

Prohibited Items:

  • No flammable liquids such as paint thinner, oil-based paint, dry cleaning fluids, gas, and propane.
  • Personal air conditioning units
  • Extension Cords (only UL approved power strips and/or surge protectors are permitted)
  • Live Christmas Trees
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Fireworks and Sparklers
  • No motorcycle, moped, or gasoline engine shall be permitted within any residence building.
  • Charcoal and gas grills are not allowed in IW residence facilities, but may be used outside and at a safe distance (25 feet) form the building.
    Prohibited items included on the above list are included but not limited to any other items deemed prohibited by the Office of Student Development. Students who violate such fire regulations will result in a minimum $50.00 fine and could be held liable in the event of fire and subsequent damage, injury, or death.

Each campus residence facility provides each student with internet access, a bed, dresser, desk, chair and closet. To find exact measurements – please visit the online residence life page.
Room furniture may not be removed from rooms. Furniture should not be arranged in any way that would directly block an exit. Removal of furniture or other University property from residence hall lounges, residence hall rooms, or common areas will be viewed as an act of theft, and may be subject to criminal prosecution and referral to the student code of conduct. Lounge, classroom, and other University-owned furniture/fixtures may not be removed to student rooms for personal use. If furniture is missing from the room at the end of occupancy, each resident of that room will be charged for replacement of each missing item.

Removal of Lobby Furniture:

All university furnishings must be kept inside campus residences. Misplaced furniture or furniture not in its designated location may result in a fine and/or cost of replacement. Furnishings in common areas may not be removed to individual residences. Removing furniture from its designated location may result in disciplinary action, including fines. Damage to university furniture will require restitution for the cost of the property in addition to additional sanctions, including fines.

IW’s guest policy outlines the time and manner in which residents may host visitors in their rooms or other areas of the residence halls. The policies are designed to accommodate visitors in a manner that respects resident concerns for safety and privacy while ensuring an appropriate balance between academic and social needs within each residence hall community. This policy establishes expectations that all residents contribute to the development of our residence hall communities by demonstrating respect for themselves and others. At no time should the presence of visitors disrupt the floor and hall communities or supersede a roommate’s right to privacy.

Visitation Policies

  • Overnight visitation of the opposite sex is never permitted
  • Male residents may visit male residents and female residents may visit female residents at any time, as long as the visitation does not interfere with the privacy and study needs of roommates and other residents.
  • No one under the age of 18 is permitted in the residence halls without authorization from the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life.
  • Men may not be on female floors of S-T and women cannot be in McKibbin or on male floors of ST after designated visitation hours.
  • Residents are responsible for informing their guests of policies and notifying them when a policy is violated.
  • No guests are permitted to stay in the building without the host present.
  • Residents must never loan their residence ID card or room key to a guest for any reason. If found to have done so, that resident will be referred to the Student Conduct system. In addition, a student found in possession of a set of residence ID Card not issued in their name is in violation of the Code of Conduct.
  • Any visitor involved in a Conduct Code violation, or whose behavior is construed to be reckless, inappropriate or threatening will immediately be asked to leave the residence hall.
  • Opposite-Gender Visitation Times
    • Sunday – Thursday: 8:00am – 1:00am
    • Friday and Saturday: 8:00am – 2:00am

Escort Policy:

  • Non-student visitors and students who are not residents of the building shall be escorted at all times in the residence halls by the resident of the building.
  • Guests must be in sight of and within a reasonable distance form the host escort at all times.
  • Never agree to escort a person(s) you do not know personally because you will be responsible for them. This includes opening lobby doors to allow visitors to enter.
  • Failure by a resident to escort one’s guests while in the residence halls may results in disciplinary sanctions, including loss of visitation and/or guest privileges and/or fines.


  • Cohabitation is defined as:
    • A guest staying longer than three consecutive nights and/or staying for three or fewer consecutive nights on two or more occasions during the same week.
  • Cohabitation by members of either the same or opposite sex is not permitted in either residence halls, apartments/suites, or houses owned by the university.
  • A guest staying over a period of time and/or giving the impression that she/he is living with the host will be deemed as a cohabitant.
  • Failure to comply with this policy may result in sanctions and may jeopardize access to campus housing.

Overnight Guests

  • Residents may host a maximum of two overnight guests of the same gender at one time, provided they have the approval of their roommate(s).

Failure to comply with Guests, Visitation, Cohabitation, and Escort Policies is considered a violation of the Code of Conduct and may result in disciplinary action including the revocation of the host’s guest privileges and/or revocation of a visitor’s access to residence halls.

During regular maintenance checks and any other time Residence Life staff are present in rooms, a room may be deemed to be unsanitary and/or a fire hazard due to furniture or personal items blocking safe exits, excessive trash, papers, and other combustibles on the floor, etc. Personal items should be stored in a clean and orderly manner to promote proper hygiene and lessen the risk of pest infestation. If such an infraction occurs, the resident will be notified in writing that he/she has three days to address the problem. If it is not taken care of satisfactorily, the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life or Area Coordinator will have the problem corrected at the resident’s expense.

Recreational activities including, but not limited to, hover boards, skateboards, water guns, roller skates/blades, Frisbee, sports (football, soccer, lacrosse, softball, basketball, golf, etc.) are not permitted within the residence halls, hallways, or common areas of campus housing. Water balloons, water and/or cream fights, and other such activities are prohibited inside all residential facilities. Rollerblades, skates, skateboards, and bicycles may not ridden/used in the residence halls or university buildings. Violations may result in a disciplinary action plus the cost for any cleaning and/or damage repairs.

The University maintains twenty-eight handicapped parking spaces. Access to handicapped parking spaces is regulated through the State of Iowa. University officials and local police authorities may ticket violators in these spaces. The violation charge is $100.

Only city officials are eligible to deal with tickets given by local police. Cars may be towed away at the owner’s expense for these reasons listed below:

  • Cars parked in yellow zone, emergency point or fire lane.
  • Cars that damage University property.
  • Cars left abandoned during the summer.
  • Cars that have received three previous violations within any academic year.
  • Cars determined by local law enforcement to be a hazard to the public.

Residence Life staff will conduct health and safety inspection for all spaces in residence halls, apartments and houses. Health and safety checks will be conducted in resident rooms each semester. Checks will be announced at least 48 hours prior to the first day of inspections. All inspections are conducted for the purpose of compliance with university health and safety standards and policies. Inspections are conducted by two Residence Life Staff assigned to the specific area and are conducted at least once a semester.


At check-in, the student will be asked to thoroughly inspect the room/apartment and note any conditions or discrepancies on the Room Condition Report (RCR). The student will be held responsible for any damage(s) or change(s) in the condition of the room/apartment not previously indicated on the RCR. Students who move in without completing the check-in and inventory process properly may be fined. Students will have 24 hours to return the completed RCR to their respective RA or Office of Student Development. Failure to turn in your RCR will result in a blank RCR with your name on it being used at the time you move out. A blank RCR indicates there was nothing wrong with your room at the time you moved into the room. At the beginning of each school year the building card keys and room keys are distributed by the Office of Student Development. Failure to check-in properly may also result in a $50 improper check-in fee.

All students must schedule an appointment with your RA or another RA in your building/area 24 hours in advance of your departure. Students are required to check-out of their room/’apartment within 24 hours of completing their last scheduled final or when the building closes. The RA will then go to your room with you and fill out the remaining portions of your Room Condition Report that was completed upon your check-in. Your room must be clean to the standard it was at check-in, furniture arranged as it was at check-in, and all personal belongings removed. After completion of the RCR form, the RA will collect your key(s). The area coordinator will walk through your room/apartment once all students have left and determine any charges. The RA does not determine charges. Charges may be assessed in situations where damages have been incurred over and above normal wear and tear, furniture is missing, or the room is not clean. A detailed assessment of cleaning and damage charges will be made by our maintenance and custodial staff, which could result in the adjustment of estimated charges at the time of check-out. Failure to check out with an RA will result in a $50.00 improper check-out fee.

First year students are typically required to share a room with a roommate. Students may request a specific roommate when they fill out their housing application. Room assignments are made on a year-to-year basis by the Office of Student Development.

Returning students are provided an opportunity to select their room for the fall during spring semester through their housing application or they can declare Squatters’ Rights, in the Office of Student Development, which allows the resident to remain in their currently assigned room for the next academic school year. Students failing to take advantage of that opportunity will be assigned a room in the same manner as new, incoming students. The University reserves the option to assign rooms as deemed necessary and/or appropriate for the benefit of the University or the student(s). Changes to housing assignments can be made at any time for health, safety, or administrative reasons by the Office of Student Development.

Single Room Requests – Double as a Single & Physical Singles:
A double room with only one occupant is called a Double as a Single. A room designed to house just one person is called a Single. Priority for these rooms is based on availability, classification, and seniority factors which are taken into consideration during the Returning Student Housing Sign-up. Only for extenuating circumstances may freshmen be permitted to maintain a Double as a Single or Single room. Students requesting this option must consult with the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life. In the event a single is offered, the student may need to demonstrate the ability to pay and/or pay the additional fee before the single is granted.

All residence hall, apartment and house keys are the property of Iowa Wesleyan and may not be duplicated. Residents are prohibited from loaning their residence hall access card or room key to another person for any reason. If found to have done so, that resident will be referred to the Student Conduct system. In addition, a student found in possession of residence hall keys or an access card not issued in their name is in violation of the Code of Conduct and referral to the Student Conduct process may occur.
Access card locks are located on all the primary exterior doors of the residence halls. The holder of the access card is responsible for individuals who enter the hall in their presence and for making sure that the door is closed and locked upon their entry to the residence hall. DO NOT PROP OPEN LOCKED EXTERIOR DOORS.

A fee will be assessed if a student loses their ID card or turns in an ID card at check-out that was not assigned to him/her. A new card key will be issued at no charge if the card is broken and turned in to the Office of Student Development.

While looking for the missing key(s), the student may use the spare key for a period of 24 hours. If the key(s) are not found, the lock will be changed and the student will be charged as follows:

Lost or Unreturned Key Fines:

  • S-T, McKibbin, Juckette Hall, Apartments & Houses: $75.00
  • Nemitz: $150.00
    Students who find and return their lost key within 72 hours of being billed will have that charge reversed.

Identification Cards:

All full-time students are issued a permanent IW identification card. Students are required to carry their ID at all times when on campus and present it upon request. This card serves as official identification of student status, allows for admission to athletic and fine arts events and also allows for entrance to the University dining hall for those students who have meal plans.

Lost/Damaged/Unreturned ID Card:

  • The replacement fee for an ID card is $50.00
  • If an ID card is lost, a replacement can be secured from Information Technology Services (124 Science Hall)
  • Once ID card has been secured from IT, then bring ID to the Office of Student Development for activation.

Laundry facilities are located in Nemitz, McKibbin, Juckette, S-T, Juckette Hall and State St. Apartments. Each facility is equipped with coin operated washers and dryers ($1.25/load; quarters only). A quarter machine is located in the Student Union.
Students can download the CSCPayMobile app to pay for laundry or to check availability of machines. Machine malfunctions and refunds can be submitted through the CoinMach app or via https://www.cscsw.com/request-service/.

Personal Laundry Policy:
Personal laundry left behind in the laundry room after 72 hours will be placed in bags and may be reclaimed up to seven days from the Area Coordinator. After those seven days, all clothing items become property of Iowa Wesleyan and will be disposed of at the discretion of the university.

Students who are locked out of their rooms or apartments for any reason may contact an on-duty Residence Life member. A student is permitted one free lockout per semester, and then will be charged $20.00 for each additional lockout, which will be charged to the student’s account.

When locked out, students must follow these steps to gain entry:

  • Call a roommate for access into the residence hall
  • Every day from 5:00pm – 8:00am call the RA on Duty
  • During the weekdays from 8:00am – 5:00pm, call the Office of Student Development or find an RA who is available to help.

Meal plans are scheduled to coincide with the academic calendar. All residential students enrolled at Iowa Wesleyan are required to purchase the All-Inclusive meal plan to eat in the University dining hall. Students with special dietary needs prescribed by a physician should consult with the Food Service Director of Wesley’s Dining Hall. Students can fill out a meal plan exemption form at the Office of Student Development if they feel that their needs cannot be met by Sodexo. The University will also attempt to give special consideration to those students whose recognized religion requires a special diet.

In compliance with the “Higher Education Opportunity Act, P.L. 110-315, sec. 488, 122 Stat. 3301 (2008)” Missing Student Notification Policy and Procedures, it is the policy of the Office of Student Development to actively investigate any report of a missing resident who is enrolled at the University and residing in on-campus housing. For purposes of this policy, a student may be considered to be a “missing person” if the person’s absence is contrary to his/her usual pattern of behavior and unusual circumstances may have caused the absence.
Each resident, upon applying for housing, are required to identify the name and contact number of the individual(s), a primary contact and secondary contact, to be notified in case of an emergency or in the event that the resident is reported missing. In the event the resident is under the age of 18 or is not emancipated, the University is required to have the primary emergency contact be a custodial parent or guardian.

If a member of the University community has reason to believe that a student is missing, Student Development should be notified. If upon investigation by Student Development, the resident has been determined to be missing for at least 24 hours, the following will occur. Student Development will contact the resident’s designated emergency contact and will inform the appropriate law enforcement agency within the next 24 hours. Investigation will continue in collaboration with law enforcement officers as appropriate.

Every student, faculty, staff, adjunct, or other individual associated with the University who regularly parks a vehicle on campus will be required to affix a numbered parking sticker (students) or a hanging placard (employees) to their vehicle. Parking tickets will be issued to students and employees that violate the university parking policy.

The Human Resources Office will be responsible for distributing the hanging placards to the employees and Student Life will be responsible for distributing the parking stickers to the students. Both offices will keep and will maintain the list for cross-referencing stored on a shared drive that allows access by Student Life, Physical Plant, and Human Resources.

In order to obtain a parking sticker, students will need to complete the Student Vehicle Registration Form online indicating their personal and vehicle information. This form does require a signature, acknowledging that you have read and agree to the terms of the university parking policy. To obtain the form, please email the Office of Student Development at [email protected]

Fines for parking violations will be $15 ($75 for unauthorized parking in a disabled or fire lane) per occurrence. Violations that result in towing will be at the vehicle owner’s expense.

Students who receive excessive tickets will have their vehicle towed without warning and may be referred to the Office of Student Development to go through the student conduct process.

Immediate towing, at the vehicles owner’s expense will be enforced to unauthorized vehicles parking in disabled spaces, in fire lanes, on the campus lawn or parking to block another vehicle. Vehicles will excessive tickets are also subject to towing.

Vehicles parking in the wrong lots (i.e. they have a sticker/placard but are not in a lot designated for their type) will be assessed a fine.

Vehicles with no sticker/placard parked in a designated lot will be subject to a fine.

No fines will be assessed to visitor vehicles parked in designated visitor spots or undesignated spots located in the lot south of Ruble Arena and the PEO building.

All parking citations must be paid within 30 days of the date issued to the cashier at the Office of Student Financial Services. Parking citations unpaid by students will be added to the students account and will fall under the same set of rules as all other charges on the student’s account. Parking citations unpaid by university employees will be payroll deducted from the employees pay to the extent allowed by the law.

This policy will be enforced on campus during both day and evening hours.

Quiet Hours:

  • Sunday – Thursday: 10pm – 10am
  • Friday & Saturday: Midnight (12am) – 10am

Courtesy Hours:

  • Are in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Quiet Hours During Finals

  • Continuous Quiet Hours are to be observed beginning at 10pm two days prior to the start of Finals Week till when finals are completed for the semester.

Residents are asked to be considerate of others’ right to live, sleep, and relax within their residence hall room and/or building. Residents and staff reserve the right to ask students to lower the noise level at any time. Warnings about noise levels do not have to be given after 10pm. A fine may then be issued and students may be referred to the Student Code of Conduct Board.
Every effort should be made to keep the sound level confined to the individual’s room. Loud talking and activities should not exist in the hallways. Room and study lounge doors should be closed to prevent disturbance to others. Residents are encouraged to use headphones to minimize noise disturbances, and as a general guideline, any sound that can be heard two rooms away from the source is considered too loud and should be adjusted accordingly.
Stereos, speakers, instruments and any amplification devices must be kept out of windows, and not played in a manner that would disturb the residence hall or campus communities. If music can be heard from outside the building it is in violation of city codes related to “disturbing the peace.” Any item creating a disturbance, those listed above, may be confiscated and stored until residents can take the item(s) home.

No persons or property are allowed on ledges, fire escapes, roofs, or sitting on window sills, apartments, or houses. Violation of this policy will result in referral to the Student Code of Conduct.

Iowa Wesleyan’s property insurance covers University physical buildings and the furniture provided. Insurance for students’ personal property is NOT covered by the Iowa Wesleyan University. It is the responsibility of each student to insure their personal property and vehicle(s) against theft, loss or damage. This type of coverage may fall under a homeowner’s policy or renter’s insurance. Students should determine family policy coverage, if applicable, through consultation with an insurance agent. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain Renter’s Insurance if personal property brought into the residence halls is not covered under a homeowner’s or other policy. Any stolen property/items should contact the Mount Pleasant Police Department.

Abandon Property Policy:
The university cannot assume responsibility for the personal belongings of students or for any damages to personal property. This refers to all areas on campus and to personal property taken off campus in connection with a university function. Personal items of value such as computers/laptops, televisions, video game systems, cell phones, etc. should be properly insured. Personal property should be marked for identification. Serial numbers and other identification information for electronic equipment and other personal property should be recorded and filed for reference purposes. It is the responsibility of students to lock the door(s) and window(s) of their rooms/apartments. Vehicles should be locked, and books, bags and other personal property should not be left clearly in view on the seats and floor of vehicles.
Personal property accidentally left behind in the residence halls, apartments, or houses after the closing of the hall, may be reclaimed up to five days after departure. After that point, all remaining items become property of Iowa Wesleyan and will be disposed of at the discretion of the university.


  1. The right to study free from unnecessary disturbances.
  2. The right to sleep without unnecessary disturbances from noise, guests of roommates.
  3. The right to expect a roommate/suitemate will respect one’s personal belongings.
  4. The right to a clean living environment.
  5. The right to free access to one’s room/facilities without pressure from a roommate/ suitemate.
  6. The right to personal privacy whenever possible.
  7. The right to host guests with the expectation that guests are to respect the rights of all roommates and suitemates and other hall residents.
  8. The right to address grievances and concerns. Your Resident Assistant is available with resources to assist you in this process.
  9. The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.
  10. The right to expect reasonable cooperation and the use of shared items (telephone, University provided furniture, etc.).

No room changes will not be permitted during the first two weeks of the semester. Roommates who want room changes must meet with their floor RA and/or Area Coordinator before submitting a request. Students are encouraged to work towards amicable resolutions of differences prior to requesting a move.

Any resident who does not have a roommate or an approved single room may be reassigned to a different room on campus or have a roommate placed with him/her in order to consolidate available space. Regarding consolidation, residents have three options:

  • If available, residents can move into a single room and pay any applicable fees for this space
  • Pick a roommate of his/her choice to and make arrangements with Residence Life to move
  • Residence Life can consolidate him/her with another resident, which may mean that he/she will have to move to another room or will have a new roommate move in with him/her


  • Men are not permitted in women’s restrooms and women are not permitted in men’s restrooms.
  • Opposite-gender guests should use the public restrooms thought the residence halls/campus.
  • Picture taking, video calling, and video recording is not permitted in any bathroom. This includes but not limited to, cell phones, cameras and video recording equipment.

Residents have an expectation of privacy in regard to their residence hall room. This expectation of privacy will not be violated except under the following circumstances:

  • State of emergency —if a staff member of Student Development has “reason to believe” that life or property is in imminent danger and there exists, in his/her judgment, need of immediate action.
  • Prohibited activity — the University reserves the option to enter a student room when a university official believes that he/she has witnessed a prohibited activity, or has “reason to believe” that a prohibited activity is occurring or has occurred within the room, or to retrieve University property. Prohibited activities would include any activities that appear to violate city, state, federal law or Iowa Wesleyan policy. University officials will also cooperate with civil law enforcement officers in performance of statutory duties in accordance with legally defined procedures.
  • Performing a service — to perform some service for the occupants of the room and/or environs. This would include, but is not limited to, routine maintenance/repairs requested by a resident. For purposes of safety, sanitation and general upkeep, the University reserves the option to maintain, make repairs, and replace damaged or obsolete furniture or furnishings in the residence hall rooms anytime during the school year. An effort will be made to gain entrance to a student’s room in his/her presence but will perform the work regardless, if necessary. Any time the maintenance staff is inspecting, cleaning and repairing rooms, reasonable care with respect to the loss or theft of personal property shall be exercised, including locking a room upon departure. Beyond exercising reasonable care, however, the University will not assume responsibility for items of a personal nature that are lost, damaged, or stolen. After performing service, residence hall rooms will be locked regardless of whether or not the room was locked upon entry.
  • Vacation/Break Periods — maintenance and safety checks of rooms will be made during the vacation periods. Further notice may not be given of the intent to check the rooms over these breaks. The University may remove, without the owner’s permission, objects or materials which constitute a violation of university regulations or which, in the judgment of the staff, constitute a safety or sanitation hazard.
  • Fire or tornado alarms — staff members and emergency personnel may enter rooms during a drill or an alarm to ensure that rooms have been vacated. Staff members are authorized to check closets and other hiding places if deemed necessary and appropriate to achieve this goal.
  • By invitation — if a staff member knocks and is invited in, he/she may enter the room even if the invitation was not issued by the room occupants. Staff will not always be able to identify the speaker through a closed door. Anyone in the room granting permission to enter will be presumed to be giving permission on behalf of the residents of that room.
  • Persistent, disturbing noise — out of consideration for neighboring residents when an unattended persistent disturbing noise is occurring within the room (including but not limited to a ringing alarm clock, an unattended stereo or television, etc.).
  • Banned or illegal substances — if reasonable suspicion of the presence of drugs, alcohol, or prohibited substances are present in a room, Student Development Staff personnel reserve the right to enter the room.


  • Security personnel patrol campus from 9pm-5am.
  • Students who wish to be escorted from one campus location to another should contact Security at 319.450.2038

The Iowa Wesleyan campus and buildings are electronic cigarette (“vaping”) and smoke-free areas. This includes campus housing, university owned parking lots, athletic fields, public/private educational facilities. In addition, IW will follow the guidelines of the Iowa Smokefree Air Act (Iowa Code 142D) which prohibits smoking in public places, places of employment and outdoor areas, which includes IW school grounds.

Smoking Materials include:
lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other tobacco product in any manner or form including ash, cigarette butts/filters, or cigar stubs.

Electronic Smoking Devices:
Electronic smoking devices heat and aerosolize a liquid that contains a cocktail of ingredients, including flavorings and varying levels of nicotine. Electronic smoking devices include, but are not limited to electronic cigarettes/e-cigarettes, e-pipes, e-cigars, vapes, vape pens, e-vaporizers, personal vaporizers, tank systems, pod vape/systems, Juhl, e-hookahs, hookah pens, electronic nicotine delivery systems, and mods. All electronic smoking devices are prohibited on all Iowa Wesleyan University property.
Pursuant to the IOWA CODE Chapter 805.9 smokers who smoke in a non-smoking area of a public place may be fined $25.00 per violation by the city of Mount Pleasant. Students may also be held responsible through the Student Code of Conduct. Persons may file a civil complaint against a smoker by filing a civil complaint with a magistrate at the county courthouse or by asking a police officer to issue a citation. Students in violation of this law on the IW campus will be subject to this Iowa Code.

Academic Year Storage Policy:

  • Storage for empty luggage and storage containers is available in McKibbin and S-T.
  • All items must be marked with your name and room number.
  • The University assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged items.

Summer Storage Policy:

  • Summer storage is limited and is primarily reserved for use by international students or students who live more than 500 miles from IW.
  • There will be a cost associated with summer storage that will be charged to the students account at the time storage begins.

If interested in storage during the academic year and/or summer, please contact the Office of Student Development.

No commercial, political, religious, or nonprofit solicitation or advertising originating off-campus is permitted in university facilities, including but not limited to residence halls, Student Union and Howe Student Activity Center. Advertising may be permitted with prior approval from the Office of Student Development. Unapproved advertising will be removed and solicitors will be asked to leave.

Thefts do take place on college campuses and we encourage all students to purchase renters insurance or make sure their items are under a family home owners insurance policy. The university is not responsible for student personal property and will not reimburse students in cases of theft. Room/suite doors should be locked at all times to reduce risk of theft.

Beverage machines are located in the basement of McKibbin Hall and S-T Hall. Please report malfunctions and request a refund for lost money to the Office of Student Development