Iowa Wesleyan University is firmly committed to the philosophy and practice of a residential University. We believe that the opportunity to live and study in community is a primary and essential element of such a philosophy. The University stresses a campus living environment of civility and respect that fosters student learning and success. To this end, all full-time unmarried students who do not live with parents at their primary residence within 30 miles (Enrolled Students before Fall 2015) or 60 miles (Students enrolled Fall 2015 or later) of campus are required to live in University residential facilities.

Exceptions to this residency requirement may be made for students 23 years of age and older on the first day of classes in the Fall semester, students living with dependent children, military veterans with at least two years active military duty, and students fulfilling their student teaching requirements if placed beyond a reasonable driving distance.

An off-campus housing application should be submitted to the Assistant Dean of Students if you meet the off-campus consideration criteria and have a desire/need to live off campus. Applications are available online through the Student Development Office.

Verification of met criteria is a critical component to approval. Parent(s)/guardian(s) of the student requesting to live at home must certify that their student meets that criteria and is, therefore, eligible to reside off-campus. If the University discovers that the student is residing off-campus but does not meet one of the above criteria, the University reserves the right to bill for room and board. Students living off- campus without approval are also subject to referral to the Student Conduct process.

Students who live off campus typically have a reduction in their IW financial aid. Before making a decision to live off campus, students should talk with the Director of Financial Aid to determine how it could impact their aid package.

Requests that do not fall under the exceptions are reviewed by the Committee on Student Development. The Committee is chaired by the Assistant Dean of Students and meets semi-regularly.

Off-campus housing applications are due by July 31 for the Fall semester, and November 30 for the Spring semester.


While University housing is normally restricted to full-time students, part-time students may request permission to live in University housing on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Office of Student Development for inquiries.

Residency Age Limit: Students aged 23 and older are typically not allowed to reside in campus housing. Students over 23 who wish to reside on campus must gain permission by contacting the Assistant Dean of Students at 319-385-6257.

International Student Residential Requirement: The experience of spending a semester or more in the United States is significantly enhanced by a full immersion in the campus experience. Therefore, it is IW policy that all international students will live in our residence halls, where they will interact with domestic students and participate in many University activities, exposing them to the breadth of American culture and life. International students will be expected to live in the residence halls for their entire enrollment at IW. Special exemption to this policy can be made on a case-by-case basis and international students interested in living off-campus must submit an off- campus housing application as mentioned in the Residency Requirements section.


Documented proof from a medical practitioner of the following immunizations and tests must be received by the Office of Student Development before a student will be permitted to move into an IW residence:

Proof and date of having had measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), – or-Provide documentation of immunization for two doses of MMR after 1980, or Written notice from your doctor that you should not receive MMR immunization at this time. Students unable to comply with one of the above (and born after 1956) must be re-immunized at the student’s expense.

Students are also required to have completed a Mantoux skin test for tuberculosis within a year prior to their arrival on campus and must provide verification of any follow-up treatment if necessary. Health forms/documentation/waivers must be received at Iowa Wesleyan University before moving into the residence halls or attending classes, whichever comes first.


Each campus residence facility provides each student room with basic cable TV and Internet access. Each student is provided a bed, dresser, desk, chair, and closet.

Adams Street Apartments: Adams Street apartments are split into two complexes—the duplex and the six-plex—located on the east side of campus across from Nemitz Suites. The duplex consists of two two-bedroom apartments with a full kitchen. The six-plex consists of six one- bedroom apartments. All apartments in Adams Street are furnished with bedroom furniture and a couch. A small dining set is provided in the duplex apartments.

Juckette Hall: Juckette Hall is a one-story residence hall with the capacity to house up to 49 students of both genders. Residents enjoy a large common space, air-conditioning in every room, a four-season porch, and ample lawn space.

McKibbin Hall: McKibbin Hall is a three-story traditional residence hall which houses up to 200 male students. Residents enjoy a recreation room with pool table, a large outdoor patio and yard area. McKibbin’s first floor lounge is air-conditioned and equipped with lounge furniture and a flat-screen TV. The lower lounge is used for active kinds of recreation and includes a pool table, foosball table, and ping pong table.

Nemitz Suites: Nemitz Suites offers 32 upper class students apartment-style living (co-ed by suite) right on campus. Each air-conditioned suite is fully furnished and offers each resident their own private bedroom. Each suite houses four students, has two bathrooms, a full-sized refrigerator, and microwave.

Sheaffer-Trieschmann (S-T) Hall: Sheaffer-Trieschmann (S-T) Hall is a three-story traditional residence hall, housing 255 students, both men and women. S-T features Basement North Meeting Room which is perfect for studying or group meetings and has a kitchen. The Lobby Basement is used for recreational purposes and is equipped with a pool table, exercise equipment, vending machines and TV.

State Street Apartments: State Street Apartments are two four-apartment buildings located northeast of campus on State Street within walking distance. State Street Apartments are two- bedroom apartments with a full kitchen. The apartments are furnished with bedroom furniture, a couch, and a small dining room table with chairs. Laundry facilities are located on-site.


The Area Coordinator (AC) is an important role within the residence halls. ACs are full-time professional staff who live in the residence halls. It is their responsibility to manage the operation of the halls, train and supervise Resident Assistants, and implement the rules and regulations, coordinate programming and counsel student with personal and behavioral problems. It is their role to develop a comfortable and productive living environment. ACs have offices in the building they oversee.


An Assistant Residence Hall Director (ARHD) is an upperclassman co-responsible for the day-to-day operations of their residence hall. They serve as a resource for Resident Assistants and students, coordinate programming efforts, and supervise the front desk area. The ARHDs work directly with the ACs to help develop a comfortable and productive living environment.


The Resident Assistant (RA) is an important student leadership role within the residence halls. These are carefully selected and trained students who assist residents in a variety of ways.

The primary role of the RA is to help facilitate a floor community that fosters student success. The RA’s serve as an information source to students, and aid in the transition to Iowa Wesleyan. They plan floor programs and activities where residents can get to know each other, have fun, and support their educational experience.


These rooms are very limited. Students requesting an air conditioned room must provide physician- documented medical needs. Even with documented need, an air conditioned room may not be available. Students may not bring their own air conditioners. To offset the additional costs to the University for such usage, students in air conditioned rooms will be charged $100 per semester, per student in the room.


Regardless of age, students are not permitted to possess, consume, or distribute alcohol on campus, including in residence halls or at any IW sponsored events.

Drunken behavior is unacceptable as it does not align with the mission and values of Iowa Wesleyan University.

Students found in violation of the alcohol policy, specifically in possession of alcohol, will be required to dispose of all alcohol present during an incident at the time of the incident.

Alcohol containers and anything promoting illegal drug use or alcohol use, such as posters or beer signs, cannot be used for room, door or hallway decorations.

Presence of Alcohol:

Being in the presence of alcohol, regardless of possession or consumption, is considered a violation of the alcohol policy.

If a student will not comply with a directive to allow a search, an alcohol sanction will be applied. See “Code of Conduct, Section 18 for other IW policies regarding use of alcohol.


Residence Life staff will search a room for alcohol when one or more of the following criteria is present:

  • Visible alcohol
  • The smell of alcohol
  • Intoxicated behavior
  • Someone is vomiting or showing other signs of alcohol poisoning
  • Noise, sounds, language associated with alcohol
  • A reliable complaint of the presence, consumption or distribution occurring

A search of alcohol consists of looking in the following locations within the room/suite:

  • Student rooms
  • All refrigerators
  • Drawers
  • Closets
  • Bathrooms
  • Under beds
  • Any other location deemed necessary for review by a Residential Life staff member with probable cause.


Recommended Sanctions include but are not limited to:

  • First violation: $100 and Education
  • Second violation: $150 and Education
  • Third violation: $200 and a possible room change or removal from campus housing. See residence hall contract termination for additional information.

Communication with Parents / Legal Guardians and athletic coaches is always possible due to concerns of health and safety associated with alcohol consumption.


The possession, use or distribution of any controlled substances, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia are strictly prohibited on campus.

Zero Tolerance: The University refuses to accept drug use, possession or distribution of any controlled substances. To that end, strict application of this policy is always expected.

Being in the presence of controlled substances or illegal drugs, regardless of possession or use, is considered a violation of the drug policy. Circumstances may warrant violations of the drug policy for also being in the presence of drug paraphernalia rather than possessing it.

If a student will not comply with a directive to allow a search, a drug violation sanction will be applied.

See “Code of Conduct, Section 19 for additional information regarding IW policies regarding illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia.


Residence Life staff will search a room for controlled substances, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia when one or more of the following criteria is present:

  • Visible illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
  • The smell of illegal drugs (i.e. odor of marijuana)
  • Intoxicated behavior
  • Someone is vomiting or showing other signs of a serious drug reaction
  • Noise, sounds, language associated with drug use
  • A reliable complaint of the presence, consumption or distribution occurring

A search of illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia consists of looking in the following locations within the room/suite:

  • Student rooms
  • All refrigerators
  • Microwaves
  • Drawers
  • Closets
  • Bathrooms
  • Under beds
  • Any other location deemed necessary for review by a Residential Life staff member with probable cause.


  • When illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia is found by University staff or it is reasonable to assume drugs are present, it is standard practice for police to become involved in the search and follow-up process.
  • Law enforcement involvement does not eliminate the Student Conduct Process from occurring. If law enforcement is involved, the legal process and the University conduct process will run concurrently.
  • Police may perform random drug sweeps at any point during the academic year in coordination with the Office of Student Development and the Provost.



  1. Student receives a meeting request letter from conduct officer (Assistant Dean of Students or Vice President of Student Development or designee).
  2. At the onset of the conduct meeting, the student will receive the option of having an administrative hearing or a Student Judicial Hearing.
    1. If the student chooses an Administrative hearing, that will take place at that time.
    2. If the student chooses a Student Judicial Hearing, the hearing will take place at a later time and coordination of the hearing date with the student will occur through the Administrative Hearing Officer.
    3. *Judicial Board Hearings may not be available due to student training, availability and the need for timeliness of University response to a particular incident.
  3. Following the conduct meeting, “responsibility” will be determined and sanctions, if found responsible, will be administered. Students will be made aware of the finding and sanctions in writing, via email to the student’s IW email account.


  1. Student receives a meeting request letter from conduct officer ((Assistant Dean of Students or Vice President or designee).
  2. Administrative hearing with student is held.
  3. Following the conduct meeting, “responsibility” will be determined. If found responsible, the panel presentation will be sanctioned. Students will be made aware of the finding and sanctions in writing, via email to the student’s IW email account.
  4. Student presents at Monthly Panel comprised of members of the Committee on Student Development.
  5. The presentation must address the following:
    • 30 minute panel presentation.
    • 15 – 20 minute presentation with 10 – 15 minute of questions from panel.
    • Presentation should answer the following questions:
      • What are the documented health risks of the drug you were found in possession, use or distribution of?
      • What does it mean to you to be a responsible, contributing member to a community? How does this incident impact your ability to be that contributing member?
      • If you could, what would you have changed about the incident or moments leading up to it?
      • Why do you believe the University takes drug use and drug violations so seriously at Iowa Wesleyan?
      • How has this situation impacted or changed your life? What do you envision being different for you moving forward?
  6. If class conflict exists, it is the student’s responsibility to inform their instructors and any absences will be counted as such through the University attendance policy.
  7. After the presentation, the panel will share their perspective of the quality of the student’s presentation with the administrative hearing officer. The panel will determine if the presentation was of average quality (C grade level) or better/worse, specifically considering the thoughtfulness and genuine nature of the student’s responses.
  8. Following the panel recommendation, the Administrative Hearing Officer will administer the appropriate sanctions. If the panel determines the presentation was below average, the
    Administrative Hearing Officer’s sanction will be suspension or dismissal. Students will be made aware of the finding and sanctions in writing, via email to the student’s IW email account.


At any time, a drug violation can result in suspension or dismissal. However, as an educational environment, when mutually beneficial for the student involved and the campus community and environment, the following sanctions will be utilized.

First Offense: Maximum Monetary Fine of $150. Student is placed on Probation (see Student Code of Conduct for details). Student is required to participate in drug education which may be administered through Alcohol Drug Dependency Services in Mt. Pleasant, and may include follow-up drug tests over a specific period of time. Failed future drug tests would be considered a second offense. *Student is personally responsible for any costs associated with education and drug testing through ADDS.

Second Offense: Maximum Monetary Fine of $200. Student is required to deliver a presentation to an Administrative Panel which meets monthly. Quality of presentation (thoughtfulness and genuine nature of response) determines whether student receives further enrollment opportunity. Below average presentation results in Suspension. Student remains on probation from 1st offense.
Third Offense: If remaining enrolled following Panel Presentation, a third offense results in suspension or dismissal.

Distribution or Intent to Distribute: Regardless of the sequential number of the offense, at minimum, a student will receive a monetary fine of $200 and will be required to deliver a presentation to an Administrative Panel which meets monthly. Quality of presentation (thoughtfulness and genuine nature of response) determines whether student receives further enrollment opportunity. Below average presentation results in Suspension. Suspension can be sanctioned without the panel occurring depending on the nature of the distribution or intent to distribute violation.

Communication with Parents / Legal Guardians and athletic coaches is always possible due to concerns of health and safety associated with drug use.

Any violation of the drug policy will result in review of drug use and if deemed necessary and beneficial, a referral to a drug use intervention specialist and treatment plan may occur. See Alcohol and Other Drugs Intervention and Treatment Policy for more details.

The University collaborates and cooperates with law enforcement agencies such as the Mt. Pleasant Police Department to enforce drug laws.


The policy of Iowa Wesleyan University reflects the belief that alcohol and other forms of drug addiction are serious illnesses which are usually preceded by a history of substance abuse with inappropriate and destructive behavior patterns. In view of this, the University is committed to assist any member of the student community whose behavior shows signs of alcohol/drug abuse or addiction.

This policy is established to provide the means for the University to identify and refer students who suffer from alcohol or other drug abuse or addictions to treatment alternatives.

Intervention is intended where alcohol or other drug use is a contributing factor in one or more of the following:

  1. Disruptive and/or nuisance behavior
  2. Excessive intoxication
  3. Civil or criminal offenses
  4. Destruction of property
  5. Non-attendance at class
  6. Deterioration of academic performance
  7. Sexual assault or harassment in which alcohol or other drug use was a factor

Where alcohol or other drug abuse is suspected, any interested party having first-hand knowledge of the situation or event in question may refer the student to the Office of Student Development, wherein an informal assessment on the merits of the referral will be made. If the assessment suggests further action, every effort will be made by that office to encourage voluntary cooperation on the part of the student with the intervention and assessment processes recommended by the University. Should treatment alternatives be proposed by professional/evaluation staff, the University would make every effort to encourage voluntary cooperation on the part of the student.

Students, who by their behavior, are uncooperative, or who so request, will be granted an informal hearing to review the assessment recommended by the Office of Student Development. The hearing, should it be required, will focus on the specific behavioral and/or “use” problems that have been observed and reported. The student will be given an opportunity to respond to these reports, after which the Dean of Students or their designee will make a final decision as to whether a formal assessment/evaluation for substance abuse by a substance abuse professional is required.

The student’s failure to attend the hearing, or to follow through with the formal assessment/evaluation (if so required) or any subsequent treatment recommendations made by a substance abuse professional, will result with the student being withdrawn from classes at Iowa Wesleyan.

Re-entry into the University will be permitted only upon successful completion of substance abuse treatment and establishment of an ongoing recovery program such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous.

When, in the judgment of a staff person, a student is transported for medical attention or monitoring in response to alcohol or other chemical use, the involved student will be responsible for any costs incurred.


Alcohol is the most abused drug in society as well as on university campuses. Alcohol is directly involved in many injuries, assaults and the majority of deaths in people under age 25. Other commonly abused illegal drugs include marijuana, cocaine, stimulants, hallucinogens, depressants, narcotics, steroids and inhalants. Legal drugs such as caffeine, nicotine, over- the-counter and prescription drugs also have wide use and associated health risks.

Health risks of using alcohol or other drugs include both physical and psychological effects. The health consequences of drugs depend on the frequency, duration and intensity of use. For all drugs, there is a risk of overdose. Overdose can result in coma, convulsions, psychosis or death. Combinations of certain drugs, such as alcohol and barbiturates, can be lethal.

The purity and strength of doses of illegal drugs are uncertain.

Continued use of substances can lead to tolerance (requiring more and more of a drug to get the same effect), dependence (physical or psychological need) or withdrawal (a painful, difficult and dangerous symptom when stopping use of drugs). Long-term chronic use of drugs can lead to malnutrition, organ damage to the body and psychological problems.

The risk of AIDS and other diseases increases if drugs are injected. The consumption of alcohol or drugs by pregnant women may cause abnormalities in babies. For more information about the risks associated with the use of alcohol and other drugs, individuals may contact the Assistant Dean of Students or Counseling Services office.


The electrical systems in the residence halls are not designed to carry heavy loads of electrical equipment. All appliances must be UL approved and should not exceed a voltage of 110. Small microwaves and refrigerators not exceeding 4.3 cu. feet are permitted. A microwave is the only cooking appliance permitted in S-T and McKibbin Halls. See “Cooking in the Residence Hall” for appliances allowed in Nemitz Suites.

Space heaters, heat or sun lamps, halogen lamps, air conditioners, or open flame appliances, hazardous materials including but not limited to gas, propane, and other flammable chemicals, are not permitted under any circumstances.

Use of extension cords is permitted when only one item is plugged into it. You may use more than one appliance on a circuit if you use breaker-protected, multi-plug power strips. We encourage you to use surge protectors on all electronic equipment.

See “Cooking in the Residence Hall” and “Fire Safety” for additional safety guidelines.


Students may not babysit in the residence halls.


The University residence halls are intended as places of residence for students to support the pursuit of their educational goals. As such, they are not appropriate places for the operation of any type of business activity. Solicitation of residents by any individual or group is prohibited, and any violation of this should be promptly reported to the residence hall staff person or Student Development.


Bulletin boards are used as a prime method of communication. Each resident is responsible for knowing the contents of all official notices posted in the residence halls.


Students who wish to remain on campus during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks must first request permission from the Area Coordinators. A flat rate of $300.00 will be charged to students approved to stay for reasons not listed below.

  • Your home is more than 500 miles from Mt. Pleasant
  • You are an international student
  • You are working on campus or participating in a University-sponsored trip, internship, student teaching (University advisor or supervisor must verify)

Consolidated Management Foodservice is closed during breaks.

Students are not to return early from break to the residence halls. If a student returns to their residence early, without prior approval from the Assistant Dean of Students, they are subject to disciplinary action.


Check In – Before students arrive, each residence hall room is inventoried by residence hall staff for furnishings and the physical condition of the room. Students must review the Room Condition Report Form with their RA and sign off on the condition of the room. Upon departure from the University, students must leave their rooms in the same condition as when they moved in. At the beginning of each school year the building card keys and room keys are distributed.

Check Out – Students are expected to check out within 24 hours after their last final exam or when the building closes, whichever comes sooner. At the end of each semester, notices are posted with procedures for vacating rooms and returning keys. Before leaving campus, students must check out with their RA. Failure to check out with a RA will result in a $50 improper check-out fee. Rooms and suites must be left clean and in good order. All bed components must be in the room. Charges may be assessed in situations where damages have been incurred over and above normal wear and tear, furniture is missing, or the room is not clean.


Each floor will hold a community meeting occasionally. Attendance at these meetings is mandatory. A floor meeting will be held at the beginning and end of each semester.


Students can connect their WiFi devices to the University wireless network. Instruction can be found at

NO personal routers (wired or wireless) are allowed on campus. For gaming units and other electronics requiring a wired connection, contact Information Technology at [email protected]: [email protected]


General purpose:

  • Science Hall 111 and 114
  • Chadwick Library first floor

  • Nursing: Science Hall 315
  • Office of Academic Success and Inclusive Support (OASIS): Chadwick Library second floor
  • Music: Old Main 203
  • Design Center: Hershey West


All residents are expected to move out of their residence hall within 24 hours of completing their last final, or by the time the building closes (whichever comes sooner). Those residents who violate residence hall policies during finals week will face immediate disciplinary action and may be asked to leave the hall immediately. The housing contract expires 24 hours after the completion of the student’s last examination of the spring semester unless granted an extension by the residence hall director or Director of Residential Life.


Cooking is not permitted in residence hall student rooms, hallways, bathrooms or common areas. Small microwaves are the only cooking/heating appliance permitted in residence hall rooms. Electric frying pans, toaster ovens, electric skillets, deep fat fryers, George Foreman- type grills, toasters, slow cookers are not permitted due to odors and the extreme fire hazard they create. However, all of the above items, with the exception of a deep fat fryer, may be used in the ST Kitchen. Violations of this policy will result in appliances being confiscated and referral to the student conduct process.

Students who reside in Nemitz Suites may use cooking appliances listed above with the exception of deep fat fryers.


Students are responsible for extraordinary cleaning, damage and theft of University property within the residential community. Cleaning of, damage to and theft of furnishings from common areas within a hall or house for which individual responsibility cannot be determined may be apportioned among all members of the hall, floor or section as deemed appropriate by the residence hall staff. Damage charges are administered at the end of every month.


Please see “Electrical Appliances-Concerns & Safety” and “Fire Safety” sections for more information. Decoration of public areas (including but not limited to outside of room doors, hallways, lounges, and bathrooms) shall be left to the discretion of the Residence hall staff person. Items considered offensive, harassing, or pornographic are not permitted and will be removed.

The recessed molding near the ceiling in S-T and McKibbin is to be used for hanging pictures and bulletin boards. The use of tape, staples, nails, tacks, etc., for fastening articles on the walls, doors, and furniture is not permitted. Violation will result in appropriate charges when either resident moves out of the room.

Students may elect to have holiday decorations in their rooms as long as the following protocols are followed:

  • All lights must be (light-emitting diode) LED. NO OTHER TYPE OF LIGHTS ARE ALLOWED. This includes rope lights.
  • Lights may NOT be hung from the walls or ceilings.
  • Lights must plug DIRECTLY into the wall and not be connected to an outlet by an extension cord.
  • Lighted artificial Christmas trees may remain up, as long as they are lit by LED lights.
  • There can be NO decorations in the hallways.
  • Lights and extension cords cannot run under doors.
  • Lights may ONLY be on when there is someone in the room.
  • In addition- doors may NOT be wrapped in paper. Only 25% of your door may be covered. (This includes door decorations, signs, white boards, etc.).

Fire regulations prohibit the use of any hangings or decorations made of flammable materials in residence hall rooms. Items such as parachutes, fish nets, wall and ceiling hangings, and loose carpeting are “fire-feeders” and are particularly dangerous. Halogen lights and live Christmas trees are fire hazards and are not prohibited. Students who violate such fire regulations could be held liable in the event of fire and subsequent damage, injury, or death.

Painting of student rooms is not permitted without authorization from the Office of Student Development.

Students are asked to not overload outlets and are encouraged to use power strips with built-in circuit breakers instead of extension cords. Installation of electrical or antenna wiring beyond the student’s room will not be allowed. Unauthorized wiring or any situation resulting in damage, will be removed by maintenance staff. All expenses associated with this removal will be billed to the resident(s) of the room.

Clothes to dry can be hung on clothes bars in closets of lounge rooms only. Hanging clothes, plants, etc., on room and lounge curtain rods is not permitted.


Students requesting to check-in or –out at times other than those designated, must do so, in writing, to at least two weeks prior. Prior to the start of the academic year, requests must be made to the Assistant Dean of Students. During the academic year, requests must be made to the Area Coordinator.


The Office of Student Development will provide a reasonable accommodation for residential facilities who satisfy the requirements of this policy to afford persons with mental health disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy their housing facilities. Residents must contact the Assistant Dean of Students to request their emotional support animal to live in their dwelling. Residents must fill out the appropriate paperwork, submit medical documentation and veterinary records (when appropriate), and abide by the responsibilities set forth by the policy once the resident is approved to have an emotional support animal in their living area. Definition

An Emotional Support Animal is defined, for purposes of this policy, as an animal whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being. While an animal could be trained, training is not required to perform a task related to emotional support. Any animal can qualify as an Emotional Support Animal as long as the individual provides the appropriate documentation. An Emotional Support Animal is not a Service Animal.

A resident must be approved by the Assistant Dean of Students BEFORE the animal is allowed to move into the dwelling. Residents must submit their request within 60 days of the beginning of the fall semester in order to be approved to allow for appropriate placement. Residents can apply during the school year and will be approved on a rolling basis. Submitting the paperwork does not guarantee approval.


IW’s visitation policy outlines the time and manner in which residents may host visitors in their rooms or other areas of the residence halls. The policies are designed to accommodate visitors in a manner that respects resident concerns for safety and privacy while ensuring an appropriate balance between academic and social needs within each residence hall community. This policy establishes expectations that all residents contribute to the development of our residence hall communities by demonstrating respect for themselves and others. At no time should the presence of visitors disrupt the floor and hall communities or supersede a roommate’s right to privacy.


Students are responsible for the conduct of their visitors at all times.


Overnight visitation of the opposite sex is never permitted.

Same-gender Visitors —Male residents may visit male residents and female residents may visit female residents at any time, as long as the visitation does not interfere with the privacy and study needs of roommates and other residents. Residents may host a maximum of two overnight guests of the same gender at one time, provided they have the approval of their roommate(s). No visitors are allowed to stay more than three consecutive nights in any one room or residence hall. There is no overnight visitation during official break periods.


  • 8AM-1AM Sunday to Thursday
  • 8AM-2AM Friday and Saturday and when classes are excused before or after a weekend
  • If a need arises for an overnight visitor of the opposite gender to stay on campus, the Office of Student Development may be able to accommodate that request by providing a vacant location in the appropriate residence hall to that visitor. This opportunity is not guaranteed, must be coordinated a minimum of 24 hours in advance during the business day (between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.), and overnight residency charges may be applied.


Iowa Wesleyan visitors: Non-student visitors shall be escorted at all times in the residence hall. Iowa Wesleyan students: Visitors of the opposite sex must be escorted after 10PM.

  • No one under the age of 18 is permitted without authorization from the Assistant Dean of Students.
  • Men may not be on female floors of S-T and women cannot be in McKibbin or on male floors of ST after designated visitation hours.
  • Students who are not residents of the building must have an escort in all common areas after 10PM.
  • Residents are responsible for informing their guests of policies and notifying them when a policy is violated.
  • No guests are permitted to stay in the building without the host present.
  • Never agree to escort a person(s) you do not know personally because you will be responsible for them. This includes opening lobby doors to allow visitors to enter.
  • Residents must never loan their residence hall card key or room key to another person for any reason. If found to have done so, that resident will be referred to the Student Conduct system. In addition, a student found in possession of a set of residence hall keys not issued in their name is in violation of the Code of Conduct.
  • Any visitor involved in a Conduct Code violation, or whose behavior is construed to be reckless, inappropriate or threatening will immediately be asked to leave the residence hall.
  • Failure to comply with Escort and Visitation Policies is considered a violation of the Code of Conduct and may result in disciplinary action including the revocation of the host’s guest privileges and/or revocation of a visitor’s access to residence halls.


Fire safety equipment (fire extinguishers, fire alarms, sprinkler system and smoke detectors) and evacuation/exit plans are installed in every building. Upon moving into a hall, become acquainted with the fire exit routes, locations of extinguishers, alarms, and hall evacuation routes and procedures.

Tampering with fire equipment endangers the safety of others, is a violation of Iowa law, and will be considered a serious offense by the University. All tampering and/or damage to fire equipment will result in a fine of $200 for the offender AND criminal action may be taken. Pulling a fire alarm station creating a false alarm or intentionally causing a false alarm by other means will result in a $500 fine. Should the student have a legitimate need to discharge an extinguisher, this action must be reported immediately to a RA, and no fines will be assessed.

The alarms are connected to the City of Mount Pleasant, and any alarm initiates response from the city fire department. False alarms result in $500 charges from the city. The cost will be assessed to the floor or entire hall where the alarm was triggered, if the responsible persons are not identified.

In all cases, should the individual responsible for the tampering come forward, the fine may be reduced to the cost of replacement as well as possible disciplinary and criminal action.

There will be a minimum of two inspections of smoke detectors per year.

The fire alarm system in the halls exists for the safety of residents. When an alarm sounds, all residents are required to exit the building and remain outside until given the all clear signal by University staff or the emergency responders. Failure to evacuate the building may result in a monetary fine up to $100.



  1. Please pull the fire alarm as you evacuate the building and call 911.
  2. For a fire emergency, DO NOT try to extinguish the fire.
  3. Disabled persons unable to evacuate in a timely and safe manner should go to the nearest safe room facing the street, shut the door, open a window and hang an article of clothing from the window. This will indicate your presence to firefighters.
  4. All other persons should evacuate the building to the designated meeting area:
    • Adams Street Apartments: Nemitz Suites Parking Lot
    • Juckette Hall: Parking lot, east side
    • McKibbin Hall: Grass area on east side
    • Nemitz Suites: Grass area on north side
    • Sheaffer-Trieschmann Hall: South side, in front of Hershey
    • State Street Apartments: Across the street on the north end

Also see “Fire and Evacuation”, and “Appliances: Concerns and Safety”, and “Cooking in the Residence Halls”.


Room furniture may not be removed from rooms. Furniture should not be arranged in any way that would directly block an exit. Removal of furniture or other University property from residence hall lounges, residence hall rooms, or common areas will be viewed as an act of theft, and may be subject to criminal prosecution and referral to the student code of conduct. Lounge, classroom, and other University-owned furniture/fixtures may not be removed to student rooms for personal use. If furniture is missing from the room at the end of occupancy, each resident of that room will be billed for replacement of each missing item.


State fire safety regulations stipulate that there shall be no combustible material in the hallways of the residence hall. It is imperative to keep hallways clear at all times for emergency exit purposes. Items found in the hallways will be confiscated and may result in charges to residents.


All residents are responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of residence halls. Residents may file an Incident Report about another resident. To personally file an incident report, visit the Area Coordinator or Assistant Dean of Students in the Student Development Office.


Residents are prohibited from loaning their residence hall card key or room key to another person for any reason. If found to have done so, that resident will be referred to the Student Conduct system. In addition, a student found in possession of residence hall keys or card keys not issued in their name is in violation of the Code of Conduct and referral to the Student Conduct process may occur.

Card key locks are located on all the primary exterior doors of the residence halls. The holder of the card key is responsible for individuals who enter the hall in their presence and for making sure that the door is closed and locked upon their entry to the residence hall.

Lost and found keys and card keys should be turned in to the Student Development Office or a residence hall staff member.

A fee of $250 will be assessed if a student loses a card key or turns in a card key at check-out that was not assigned to him or her. A new card key will be issued at no charge if the card is broken and turned in to the Residence hall staff person. A fee of $75 will be assessed for each room key lost or not returned in S-T, McKibbin or houses. A fee for a lost Nemitz key is $150. Students who find and return their lost card keys within 72 hours of being billed will have that charge reversed. Charges for changed locks will not be reversed.

Part of the obligation of living in a community is to help safeguard the living environment. DO NOT PROP OPEN LOCKED EXTERIOR DOORS. Giving your card key or room key to another individual for the purpose of accessing the residence halls and/or residence room constitutes a serious risk for you and your fellow students and is prohibited. Please be security-minded at all times and lock your door every time you leave your room.


Laundry rooms are located in Nemitz, McKibbin and S-T. Each is equipped with coin operated washers and dryers ($1.25, quarters only). Students can download the CSCPayMobile app to pay for laundry or to check availability of machines. Machine malfunctions and refunds can be submitted through the CoinMach app or via

A quarter machine is located in the Student Union.


In the event a student is locked out of his/her room, the RA will allow entrance to the room. Students will need to show their IW ID card to prove identity. If identity cannot be confirmed, the student will not be permitted access to the room. Students are allowed one free lock out each academic year and after the first will be charged $20 (billed to the student’s account). While looking for the keys, the student may use the spare key for a period of 24 hours. If keys are not found, the lock will be changed and the student will be charged $75.00 (McKibbin & S-T), or $150 (Nemitz Suites).


Residents are expected to carry their room key, card key and IW ID card with them at all times. For the purpose of safety and security, students must not loan their keys to any person for any reason. Students must follow these procedures to gain entry if they get locked out of their building and/or room:

  • Call a roommate for access to the residence hall and/or room.
  • If a roommate is not available, contact, in subsequent order:
    • the floor RA,
    • RA on duty (posted at the front desk),
    • During weekdays, 8AM-5PM, contact the Area Coordinator or the Office of Student Development,
    • Between 5PM and 1AM, contact a RA, if a roommate is notavailable.
    • After 1AM Campus Security if a roommate is not available. Security can be reached at 319-450-2038.


In compliance with the “Higher Education Opportunity Act, P.L. 110-315, sec. 488, 122 Stat. 3301 (2008)” Missing Student Notification Policy and Procedures, it is the policy of the Office of Student Development to actively investigate any report of a missing resident who is enrolled at the University and residing in on-campus housing. For purposes of this policy, a student may be considered to be a “missing person” if the person’s absence is contrary to his/her usual pattern of behavior and unusual circumstances may have caused the absence. Such circumstances could include, but not be limited to, a report or suspicion that the missing person may be the victim of foul play, has expressed suicidal thoughts, is drug dependent, is in a life-threatening situation, or has been with persons who may endanger the student’s welfare.

Each resident, upon applying for housing, are required to identify the name and contact number of the individual(s), a primary contact and secondary contact, to be notified in case of an emergency or in the event that the resident is reported missing. In the event the resident is under the age of 18 or is not emancipated, the University is required to have the primary emergency contact be a custodial parent or guardian.

If a member of the University community has reason to believe that a student is missing, Student Development should be notified. Upon receiving notification, applicable University personnel will make reasonable efforts to locate the student to determine his or her state of health and well-being. These efforts may include, but are not limited to, checking the resident’s room, class schedule, friends, ID card access, locating the resident’s vehicle, and calling his/her reported cell phone number. As part of the investigation, the University reserves the right to make contact with emergency contacts to help determine the whereabouts of the resident.

If upon investigation by Student Development, the resident has been determined to be missing for at least 24 hours, the following will occur. Student Development will contact the resident’s designated emergency contact and will inform the appropriate law enforcement agency within the next 24 hours. Investigation will continue in collaboration with law enforcement officers as appropriate.


Iowa Wesleyan’s property insurance covers University physical buildings and the furniture provided.

Insurance for students’ personal property is NOT covered by the University. It is the responsibility of each student to insure their personal property against theft, loss or damage. This type of coverage may fall under a homeowner’s policy. Students should determine family policy coverage, if applicable,
through consultation with an insurance agent. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain Renter’s Insurance if personal property brought into the residence halls is not covered under a homeowner’s or other policy.


Fish (defined as animals with fins and gills, living under water, in an aquarium10 gallons or less, 24 hours a day) are the only pets permitted in the residence halls. No other pets are permitted in any residence hall as guests or permanent residents. Infractions of this policy will result in an initial fine of $25 per day until the pet is removed. If the pet poses an immediate threat to residents and/or the Iowa Wesleyan community, civil authorities will be contacted for assistance. Pet owner(s) could face criminal or civil charges in addition to campus charges.


Bluetooth and wireless printers are not allowed in the residence halls unless the printer has the ability to hard-wire into a device or the wireless capability can be turned off. Wireless printers affect the campus network signal.

Computer labs have computers and printers for student use. Students receive $50 printing credit each semester. Remaining balances are reset to $50 at the beginning of the following semester. Any remaining amounts do not carry over term to term.

If a student uses their entire semester credit, additional printing amounts can be purchased by visiting the Information Technology Services Office located on the first floor of the Science Hall or Chadwick Library.


  • General purpose:
    • Science Hall 111 and 114
    • Chadwick Library first floor
  • Nursing: Science Hall 315
  • Office of Academic Success and Inclusive Support (OASIS): Chadwick Library second floor
  • Music: Old Main 203
  • Design Center: Hershey West


Items not allowed in campus housing: all cooking appliances other than a microwave oven (see “Cooking in the Residence Hall” for appliances allowed in Nemitz Suites), space heaters, heat or sun lamps, halogen lamps, personally-owned air conditioners, or open flame appliances. Hazardous materials including but not limited to gas, propane, and other flammable chemicals, are not permitted under any circumstances.

The electrical systems in the residence halls are not designed to carry heavy loads of electrical equipment. All appliances must be UL approved and should not exceed a voltage of 110. Permitted appliances include: small microwaves, refrigerators not exceeding 4.3 cu. feet, hair dryers, electric shavers, radios, TVs and stereos.

Use of extension cords is prohibited. You may use more than one appliance on a circuit if you use breaker-protected, multi-plug power strips. We encourage you to use surge protectors on all electronic equipment. See “Fire Safety” for additional fire safety guidelines.

Candles, incense, kerosene oil lamps, etc., whether they have ever been lighted or not, are prohibited within residence halls. These items produce an open flame or hotspot that produces smoke and may inadvertently set off the smoke alarm system causing a false alarm or start a fire. Violations of the Fire Safety Policy will result in a minimum fine of $50. Students are encouraged to ONLY bring irons and curling irons that have an automatic turn off feature.

Live Christmas trees are not permitted in student rooms. No fireworks are allowed in or around residence halls. Gas grills are not allowed inside any residence hall. Charcoal and gas grills may be used outside and at a safe distance from the building. Motorized vehicles may not be parked at any location in or around the student residences other than authorized parking lots/spaces.

Walls of any residence life area may not be covered by cardboard and no wall may have more than 50 percent of its total area covered by any material including paper, cardboard, fabric, metal, etc.

Students are not allowed to bring halogen lamps to their room. Halogen lamps burn up to 10 times hotter than an ordinary light bulb, causing a potential fire hazard.


In order to make the atmosphere conducive to living and learning, Quiet Hours will be in effect from:

  • 10PM–10AM Sunday through Thursday nights
  • Midnight–10:00 AM: Friday and Saturday nights.
  • Courtesy Hours are in effect during all other times.

Individual floors may vote to extend quiet hours. Warnings may be given to residents to inform them that the noise level is too loud. Warnings do not have to be given after 10PM. Fines will be given to those who do not respect the policy. Violators may be referred to the Student Code of Conduct.

Residents are asked to be considerate of others’ right to live, sleep, and relax within their residence hall room and/or building. Residents and staff reserve the right to ask students to lower the noise level at any time.

Residents are expected to be courteous of others and monitor the noise level within their room/hall. Students disturbed by the amount of noise being generated by individual rooms or groups should approach those involved and politely ask them to reduce the volume. If the situation persists or gets worse, students should then contact the Resident Assistant on duty for assistance.

As a general guideline, any sound that can be heard two rooms away from the source is considered too loud and should be adjusted accordingly. Every effort should be made to keep the sound level confined to the individual’s room. Loud talking and activities should not exist in the hallways. Room and study lounge doors should be closed to prevent disturbance to others. Residents are encouraged to use headphones to minimize noise disturbances, especially during Quiet Hours.

If the window is open, consideration should be given to neighbors and persons outside the building.

Stereos, etc. must be kept out of windows, and not played in a manner that would disturb the residence hall or campus communities. If music can be heard from outside the building it is violation of city codes related to “disturbing the peace.” For loud volumes, headphone use is recommended. Any item creating a disturbance (stereos, musical instruments, etc.) may be confiscated and stored until residents can take the item(s) home. Recreational activities including, but not limited to, hover boards, skateboards, water guns, roller skates/blades, Frisbee, sports (football, soccer, lacrosse, softball, basketball, golf, etc.) are not permitted within the residence halls.


Continuous Quiet Hours are to be observed beginning at 10pm two days prior to the start of Finals Week.


Men are not permitted in women’s restrooms and women are not permitted in men’s restrooms.


Residents have an expectation of privacy in regard to their residence hall room. This expectation of privacy will not be violated except under the following circumstances:

State of emergency —the staff member has “reason to believe” that life or property is in imminent danger and there exists, in his/her judgment, need of immediate action.

Prohibited activity — the University reserves the option to enter a student room when a University official believes that he/she has witnessed a prohibited activity, or has “reason to believe” that a prohibited activity is occurring or has occurred within the room, or to retrieve University property. Prohibited activities would include any activities that appear to violate city, state, federal law or Iowa Wesleyan policy. University officials will also cooperate with civil law enforcement officers in performance of statutory duties in accordance with legally defined procedures.

Performing a service — to perform some service for the occupants of the room and/or environs. This would include, but is not limited to, routine maintenance/repairs requested by a resident. For purposes of safety, sanitation and general upkeep, the University reserves the option to maintain, make repairs, and replace damaged or obsolete furniture or furnishings in the residence hall rooms anytime during the school year. An effort will be made to gain entrance to a student’s room in his/her presence but will perform the work regardless, if necessary. Any time the maintenance staff is inspecting, cleaning and repairing rooms, reasonable care with respect to the loss or theft of personal property shall be exercised, including locking a room upon departure. Beyond exercising reasonable care, however, the University will not assume responsibility for items of a personal nature that are lost, damaged, or stolen. After performing service, residence hall rooms will be locked regardless of whether or not the room was locked upon entry.

Vacation periods — maintenance and safety checks of rooms will be made during the vacation periods. Further notice may not be given of the intent to check the rooms over these breaks. The University may remove, without the owner’s permission, objects or materials which constitute a violation of University regulations or which, in the judgment of the staff, constitute a safety or sanitation hazard.

Fire or tornado alarms — staff members and emergency personnel may enter rooms during a drill or an alarm to ensure that rooms have been vacated. Staff members are authorized to check closets and other hiding places if deemed necessary and appropriate to achieve this goal.

By invitation — if a staff member knocks and is invited in, he/she may enter the room even if the invitation was not issued by the room occupants. Staff will not always be able to identify the speaker through a closed door. Anyone in the room granting permission to enter will be presumed to be giving permission on behalf of the residents of that room.

Persistent, disturbing noise — out of consideration for neighboring residents when an unattended persistent disturbing noise is occurring within the room (including but not limited to a ringing alarm clock, an unattended stereo or television, etc.).

Banned or illegal substances — if reasonable suspicion of the presence of drugs, alcohol, or prohibited substances are present in a room, University personnel reserve the right to enter the room.


For safety reasons, students are not permitted on roofs of the residence halls or any IW building for any reason. Violation of this policy will result in referral to the Student Code of Conduct.


First year students are typically required to share a room with a roommate. Students may request a specific roommate. Room assignments are made on a year-to-year basis.

Returning students are provided an opportunity to select their room for the fall during spring semester. Students failing to take advantage of that opportunity will be assigned a room in the same manner as new students. The University reserves the option to assign rooms as deemed necessary and/or appropriate for the benefit of the University or the student(s).

These changes may be made at any time for health, safety, or administrative reasons.


No room changes will be permitted during the first two weeks of the semester. Roommates who want room changes must meet with their floor RA before submitting requests. Students wishing to change rooms and/or roommates should contact their Area Coordinator. Students are encouraged to work towards amicable resolutions of differences prior to requesting a move.


For a variety of reasons, some students who have signed up for a double room may find themselves without a roommate (due to no-shows, withdrawals, etc.). When this happens, a residence hall staff person will contact the student concerning options, including, but not limited to, consolidation or change to single status. Consolidation means students are assigned to a different room and/or roommate in a similar situation. If space is available, the student will have the option to consolidate or pay for a double as a single room.


  1. The right to study free from unnecessary disturbances.
  2. The right to sleep without unnecessary disturbances from noise, guests of roommates.
  3. The right to expect a roommate/suitemate will respect one’s personal belongings.
  4. The right to a clean living environment.
  5. The right to free access to one’s room/facilities without pressure from a roommate/ suitemate.
  6. The right to personal privacy whenever possible.
  7. The right to host guests with the expectation that guests are to respect the rights of all roommates and suitemates and other hall residents.
  8. The right to address grievances and concerns. Your Resident Assistant is available with resources to assist you in this process.
  9. The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.
  10. The right to expect reasonable cooperation and the use of shared items (telephone, University provided furniture, etc.).


Security personnel patrol campus from 9pm-5am. Students who wish to be escorted from one campus location to another should contact Security. Students locked out of their room between 1:00 am and 5:00 am should contact Security 319.450.2038.


A double room with only one occupant is called a Double as a Single. A room designed to house just one person is called a Single. Priority for these rooms is based on availability and seniority factors which are taken into consideration during the Returning Housing Lottery Process. Only for extenuating circumstances may freshmen be permitted to maintain a Double as a Single or Single room. Students requesting this option must consult with the Assistant Dean of Students. In the event a single is offered, the student may need to demonstrate the ability to pay and/or pay the additional fee before the single is granted. Singles request accommodations will depend on availability.


The IW campus and buildings are electronic cigarette (“vaping”) and smoke-free areas.

In addition, IW will follow the guidelines of the Iowa Smokefree Air Act (Iowa Code 142D) which prohibits smoking in public places, places of employment and outdoor areas, which includes school grounds.

Smoking, including vaping, is not permitted in campus buildings, including individual residence rooms. School grounds are defined in the Code as parking lots, athletic fields, playgrounds, and any other outdoor area under the control of a public or private educational facility, including inside any vehicle located on such school grounds.

Smoking is only permitted on public streets and on public sidewalks within city easement. The law imposes penalties for noncompliance on both the smoker and the institution in the event of a violation. For a complete description please refer to the Iowa Code 142D: The Smokefree Air Act (the Act). Law effective: July 1, 2008.

Smokeless tobacco is only allowed in residence halls and must be disposed of properly.


Pursuant to the IOWA CODE Chapter 805.9 smokers who smoke in a non-smoking area of a public place may be fined $25.00 per violation. Persons may file a civil complaint against a smoker by filing a civil complaint with a magistrate at the county courthouse or by asking a police officer to issue a citation.

Students in violation of this law on the IW campus will be subject to this Iowa Code.


Storage for empty luggage and storage containers is available in McKibbin and S-T. All items must be marked with your name and room number. The University assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged items. Summer storage is limited and is primarily reserved for use by students who live more than 500 miles from IW.


From any campus phone, other campus phones can be accessed by dialing just the last four digits. Campus office phones all begin with 319-385-XXXX


During regular maintenance checks and any other time staff are present in rooms, a room may be deemed to be unsanitary and/or a fire hazard due to furniture or personal items blocking safe exits, excessive trash, papers, and other combustibles on the floor, etc.

Personal items should be stored in a clean and orderly manner to promote proper hygiene and lessen the risk of pest infestation. If such an infraction occurs, the resident will be notified in writing that he/she has three days to address the problem. If it is not taken care of satisfactorily, the Assistant Dean of Students or Area Coordinator will have the problem corrected at the resident’s expense.


All full-time students are issued a permanent IW identification card. Students are required to carry their ID at all times when on campus and present it upon request.

This card serves as official identification of student status, allows for admission to athletic and fine arts events and also allows for entrance to the University dining hall for those students who have meal plans.

  1. The replacement fee for an ID card is $20.
  2. If an ID card is lost, a replacement can be secured from Information Technology Services, 124 Science Hall.
  3. ID cards must be presented on verification day each semester, to be validated for the current semester.


Every student, faculty, staff, adjunct, or other individual associated with the University who regularly parks a vehicle on campus will be required to affix a numbered parking sticker (students) or a hanging placard (employees) to their vehicle. Parking tickets will be issued to students and employees that violate the university parking policy.

The Human Resources Office will be responsible for distributing the hanging placards to the employees and Student Life will be responsible for distributing the parking stickers to the students. Both offices will keep and will maintain the list for cross-referencing stored on a shared drive that allows access by Student Life, Physical Plant, and Human Resources.

In order to obtain a parking sticker, students will need to complete the Student Vehicle Registration Form online indicating their personal and vehicle information. This form does require a signature, acknowledging that you have read and agree to the terms of the university parking policy. To obtain the form, please contact the Office of Student Development.

Fines for parking violations will be $15 ($75 for unauthorized parking in a disabled or fire lane) per occurrence. Violations that result in towing will be at the vehicle owner’s expense.

Immediate towing, at the vehicles owner’s expense will be enforced to unauthorized vehicles parking in disabled spaces, in fire lanes, on the campus lawn or parking to block another vehicle.

Vehicles parking in the wrong lots (i.e. they have a sticker/placard but are not in a lot designated for their type) will be assessed a fine.

Vehicles with no sticker/placard parked in a designated lot will be subject to a fine.

No fines will be assessed to visitor vehicles parked in designated visitor spots or undesignated spots located in the lot south of Ruble Arena and the PEO building.

All parking citations must be paid within 30 days of the date issued to the cashier at the Office of Student Financial Services. Parking citations unpaid by students will be added to the students account and will fall under the same set of rules as all other charges on the student’s account. Parking citations unpaid by university employees will be payroll deducted from the employees pay to the extent allowed by the law.

This policy will be enforced on campus during both day and evening hours.


The University maintains twenty-eight handicapped parking spaces. Access to handicapped parking spaces is regulated through the State of Iowa. University officials and local police authorities may ticket violators in these spaces. The violation charge is $100.

Only city officials are eligible to deal with tickets given by local police. Cars may be towed away at the 0wner’s expense for these reasons:

  • Cars parked in yellow zone, emergency point or fire lane.
  • Cars that damage University property.
  • Cars left abandoned during the summer.
  • Cars that have received three previous violations within any academic year.
  • Cars determined by local law enforcement to be a hazard to the public.


No commercial, political, religious, or nonprofit solicitation or advertising originating off-campus is permitted in University facilities, including but not limited to residence halls, Student Union and Howe Student Activity Center. Advertising may be permitted with prior approval from the Office of Student Development. Unapproved advertising will be removed and solicitors will be asked to leave. The marketing of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products and/or events that promote the use of alcohol is prohibited on the Iowa Wesleyan campus and grounds.


Beverage and snack machines are located in the lobby of McKibbin Hall and in the basement lobby of S-T Hall. Please report malfunctions and request a refund for lost money at the Office of Student Development.