The Area Coordinators, in coordination with the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life, have primary hiring and supervision responsibility.
- Applicants must have completed at least 12 credits at IW and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA (falling below a 2.5 minimum GPA for any one semester will result in job probation or termination).
- Conduct records will be screened. Candidates who have been suspended from the University or dismissed from the halls previously are not eligible for employment. Applicants who have been, or currently are, on probation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Enrolled as a full-time student.
- Must be able to commit to the entire academic year as an on-campus students, student teachers will not be considered.
- August – May
- Be in-residence and participate in all training and operational activities that commence prior to the opening of the halls, both semesters, and continue through the closing of the halls.
- Assist with check-in and check-out at vacation periods and the beginning and ending of each semester.
TENURE – RA contracts are made on an academic year basis; however, evaluation of the RA by supervisors will be conducted periodically and affect an RAs continued employment.
- Serve as positive role models and follow all IW rules as well as state and federal laws. This expectation applies both on and off campus.
- RA placement is determined by needs. Changes in placement during the year may occur.
- Off-campus employment is permitted only with advance permission limited to 15 hrs. per week.
- The Area Coordinators give time off with advance permission. Christmas & Spring Breaks are typically RA vacation periods. In exchange, RAs are expected to remain in the building and on duty during high traffic times (Homecoming, Fall Break, weekend before finals, graduation weekend, and other times as designated).
- Devote round-the-clock waking hours coverage immediately after RAs last final until the building is closed at the end of each semester.
- Extra-curricular activities are permitted if they do not create a conflict of interest and time with the RA position. Limitations on excessive activities may be imposed to maintain effective academic and staff work. RAs may not hold an executive position in hall council or any organization with potential to create conflict of interest.
- Violation of any IW Code of Conduct, rule, policy, or these responsibilities and terms will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Serve as a positive role model and conduct one’s self in accordance with the rules and regulations of IW as well as state and federal laws.
- Develop an awareness of attitudes and feelings of individuals and groups living in the hall.
- Know the names and other information about residents of his/her floor and assist them in developing academically, personally, spiritually, and socially.
- Develop programs and activities to fulfill the University’s vision of learning in community. Involve residents in program planning and encourage attendance at programs.
- Assist in New Student Orientation and other campus-wide Student Development activities as called upon.
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource person.
- Recognize problems, actual or potential, and take appropriate action including referral to the Apartment Manager, Area Coordinator(s), or Student Development regarding residents whose problems appear to be more serious.
- Be available to students during hours when most residents are in the hall and make arrangements to see individuals periodically in an informal manner.
- Know, understand, support, and educate residents about residence hall and University rules.
- Confront inappropriate student behavior in a positive, educational, and professional manner.
- Keep Apartment Manager, Area Coordinator(s), and Student Development informed of violations, unmet student needs, problem areas, and the progress of the hall.
- Ensure the safety, welfare, and health of residents by instruction and implementation of fire, accident, and emergency procedures.
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and quiet residence hall environment that is supportive of academic success.
- Investigate and report common area damage.
- Conduct room and common area inventories; assist in checking students in and out of rooms.
- Distribute and collect information. Post signs, create bulletin boards and door decorations.
- Provide duty and backup duty coverage on specified nights and weekends.
- Attend staff and other meetings as called by the Area Coordinator and/or Student Development.
- Be supportive of other RAs and other IW personnel.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Keep keys and other issued supplies secure from loss, theft, and damage.
- Complete a desk shift as part of on-call responsibilities as assigned by the Area Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
As employees of the Office of Student Development, RAs are expected to obey all Iowa State laws regarding alcohol and controlled substances. Any evidence of drinking or possession of alcohol by an underage RA or use of or possession of controlled substances or drug paraphernalia by a RA may result in dismissal from the position. Illegal drug use or intoxication or consumption of alcohol on duty will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
In return for services rendered, during employment period a Resident Assistant will receive a scholarship covering their room cost.
We encourage all applicants to make an appointment with Career Development (located in the Tiger Station), to develop or review your resume and cover letter PRIOR to applying. Applicants will be required to upload their resume and cover letter to the online application.
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- What experiences have you had at Iowa Wesleyan University that have influenced your decision to apply to be a resident assistant?
- What do you hope to gain as a resident assistant?
Applications open on Monday, available late February or early March
Regular Applications: TBD
All RA candidates will be required to participate in a group interview process at a date to be determined.
All RA candidates will be required to participate in an individual interview process at a date to be determined.