The REC Center
Job Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $10-12/hour
Anticipated State Date: 10/25/2022
Approximate Hours: 4-12
Red Cross Swim Lessons
How to Apply:
Email: Ryan Duffie at [email protected]
To provide quality swim instruction to all participants at The Rec Aquatic programs and services. To meet departmental expectations regarding communication, customer service, and overall The Rec Aquatics standard of behavior.
1. Demonstrate understanding and accountability of Aquatic department regarding communication with The Rec members, guests and staff.
a. Be accessible, responsive and follow departmental policy regarding instructor
Communication, including: completing availability on time/accurately, substitution processes, creating a positive work environment, etc.
b. Keep availability current to expedite accurate lesson distribution and general scheduling processes.
c. Show up to lessons early and have necessary equipment prepared in advance.
2. Demonstrate clear understanding of Aquatic department scheduling processes and procedures.
a. Give at least 2 weeks notice (to Aquatic Coordinator) if you are planning not to attend a specific class.
b. Responsible for finding own substitute if not teaching a specific class, based on approved staff.
c. A Program instructor is not to miss more than 2 weeks of teaching per session/class.
3. Demonstrate understanding of providing safe, fun, and professional swim instruction within the standardized The Rec/American Red Cross expectations.
a. Use the established teaching plan to support your weekly lessons.
b. Complete student evaluation cards on time AND accurately.
c. Provide skills and drills to practice on their own.
d. Ensure participants are aware of registration/purchasing options in a timely & efficient manner.
e. Actively participate in set-up/clean up after each teaching shift/lesson.
4. Work to continuously improve skills as an instructor.
a. Attend Rec staff trainings, present documentation as needed.
b. Consult other instructors about ideas for drills and methods for teaching.
c. Follow Program Lead recommendations for improving lesson quality & service.
d. Establish and maintain positive relationships with your students, fellow instructors, Leads, safety personnel, and fellow Rec staff.
Conditions of Employment/Basic Job Requirements
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification.
• Must pass a drug test, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check.
• MUST have current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications before the first day of work. These certifications MUST be maintained at all times while employed by The Rec.
• Previous swimming background is essential and prior experience in swim instruction is preferred.
• Swim Instructors must be able to demonstrate technical proficiency in the front and back crawl and the breaststroke.