Henry County Extension
Mount Pleasant, IA 52641
Job Type: Internship
Salary Range: $12.00/hour
Anticipated State Date: First semester: September to November, Second semester: January to April
Approximate Hours: 15 weeks per year
After School Program Coordinator
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, resume, and one letter of recommendation to Iowa State University Extension and Outreach – Henry County, 127 North Main, Mount Pleasant, Iowa 52641 attention Sadie Martin or submit electronically to [email protected].
The individual in this position will assist in the management, supervision, and implementation of a comprehensive after school program based at Van Allen Elementary School during the 2021-2022 school year. Tuesday – Thursday from 2:45pm – 5:00pm plus planning time.
Responsibilities will include but will not be limited to the following:
Program Implementation and Supervision:
- Organize, plan, coordinate, implement, and supervise school program for students in grades 2-5.
- Treat children with dignity and respect and meets the needs of individual children with awareness of their interest, special talents and needs, cultural background, and individual learning styles.
- Arrangement, appearance, and learning environment of the after school program.
- Plan opportunities that are structured for maximum participation (eg., individual, partner, and small-group activities: non-elimination activities; activities that require no wait time).
- Assisting with providing maximum opportunities daily that is conducive to learning,
- Motivating children to be physically active by implementing a variety of recreational activities.
- Organizing after school experiences to include planning activities that promote student interaction, address real world applications, and support the positive development for youth.
- Explore ways to infuse technology with project-based learning activities to build knowledge and enhance creative expression.
- Communicates clearly and appropriately with school, children, parents, students, and supervisory staff.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned to meet the needs of our program.
- Demonstrating through daily actions and work habits, the desire to provide outstanding customer service and competitive value.
- The person selected for this position must be professionally prepared and be physically and mentally fit to care for children. These requirements include but may not be limited to the following:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent and be appropriately qualified for the assigned age group through education, training, experience, and/or personal qualities.
- Must hold a driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, and be able to see, hear, and respond, to children’s needs, including reaching high, stooping to the children’s level, sitting on the floor and getting up.
- Be able to determine cognitive, social, and physical needs of children in written and verbal forms, of the English language and at a level that 90-95% of parents and staff are able to understand and, in turn, respond to.
- Be able to handle, in a positive way, the demands that contact with many children and parents bring every day. This includes stress, tension, noise, and interpersonal conflicts.