Iowa Wesleyan University recognizes the value of your military experience and training. Did you know you can get college credit for your military experience? The American Council on Education (ACE) collaborates with the Department of Defense (DoD) to review military training and experience and recommend appropriate college credit for members of the Armed Forces.

IW accepts a full range of benefits and programs for military members, military spouses & dependants, and veterans.

Military Admissions Information

Iowa Wesleyan must receive an official copy of your military transcript to award any applicable transfer credits. The information below includes links to help you with the process of requesting your official military transcript. Please note that requesting your military transcript is branch specific.

If you have not already applied to Iowa Wesleyan University, please contact your Admissions Counselor to request more information or an unofficial review of your transcripts for possible transfer credit.

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

Veteran's Affairs Information

Step 1: Go to the VA website

Step 2: Fill out the correct benefit application and send it to the Veteran’s Affairs office.

Step 3: Receive a letter from the Veteran’s Affairs office about your chapter, benefits, percentage, and yellow ribbon eligibility. (This will come in the mail about 30 days after the VA receives your application)

Step 4: Scan, fax, or hand the letter from the Veteran’s Affairs Office to the Iowa Wesleyan Registrar.

Step 5: The Iowa Wesleyan Registrar will input information into VA Once.

Step 6: Depending on chapter, the VA benefits will go to the student or Iowa Wesleyan from the Veteran’s Affairs office.

Step 7: Notify the registrar whenever you add, drop, or withdraw from a course. These actions could affect your VA benefits.

As you prepare for the upcoming semester, the Registrar’s office and the Financial Aid office would like to remind you about your Veteran’s Affairs (VA) benefits. If you plan to use your VA benefits each semester, you need to contact the Registrar’s office and the Financial Aid Office each semester.

Please note, the actions of adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a class can affect your VA benefits. Please contact the Registrar’s Office and the Financial Aid Office if you add, drop, or withdraw from a class.

To utilize educational benefits from the Veterans Affairs (VA), students must meet “pursuit of education and academic standards” established by the VA and school policy. VA Certifying Officials are required to report noncompliance with satisfactory progress toward completion of training objectives. Accordingly, students utilizing VA education benefits who fail to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in accordance with school policy will have their benefits interrupted. Students below a 2.0 GPA will be below satisfactory progress at Iowa Wesleyan University. A VA student will receive a letter containing information about the probation, suspension, or dismissal from the academic standards committee due to the cumulative GPA being below a 2.0. At this time, VA benefits will be interrupted.

Megan Hills
[email protected]

Valerie Henessee
Director of Graduate & Professional Studies



Iowa Wesleyan University strives to be recognized as one of the most military friendly universities in the nation. Deployment or extended TDY can be a difficult and stressful time for both the military personnel and their families. IW hopes to relieve some of that stress and support our military personnel by working with them individually to create a plan for the completion of their coursework and continued studies.

Students must inform the school and provide documentation as soon as possible of any deployment. They should also inform their professors. This will allow the student and professors to work to create a plan for the completion of their coursework. Deployment orders should also be presented to the Registrar or Academic Affairs office.

Deployed students have the following options:

  • students may request an Incomplete and work with their professors to create a plan that will allow them to finish their course work while deployed
  • online students can simply complete their work while deployed
  • students can withdraw from the course per school policy with a notation from the Registrar’s office that the Withdrawal was for military purposes

For Service Members who were temporarily unable to attend or had to suspend their studies due to service requirements, Iowa Wesleyan will readmit them with the same academic status as when they last attended Iowa Wesleyan. This will be completed when the service member gives Iowa Wesleyan either oral or written notice of the intent to return to school. The student will be granted:

  • admission to the same program or most similar program available
  • the same enrollment status
  • the same number of credit hours previously completed unless the student chooses a different program
  • the same academic standing
  • tuition during the first year of return will be assessed at the same rate as when the student was previously enrolled unless military tuition benefits will cover the higher costs
  • if Iowa Wesleyan feels the student is no longer prepared to continue the same program as before, the student will be allowed one “refresher” course or pretest at no cost.
  • all efforts will be made to ensure the student can complete their previous program of study, but if preparing a student to complete their previous program would create an undue hardship to Iowa Wesleyan, then the student would not be readmitted to that previous program and other programs would be suggested

Tuition Assistance

Servicemembers may be eligible to receive tuition benefits to help offset the cost of your education. To apply for benefits, you must coordinate with your education advisor, ESO, or counselor within your respective branch of the military prior to enrolling. We recommend you start this process at least four weeks prior to your course start date.


Select the type of student you are for more information on applying to attend Iowa Wesleyan University.

Military Student

First Year Student (Freshman)

First-Time College Student
Military Student

Transfer Student

Transferring earned college credits from another college or university
Military parent with child

IW Online

Online students take most of their classes online and do not attend campus classes