International Student Advisor
Iowa Wesleyan University is accepting applications for International Student Advisor. This is a full-time, exempt position working with our international student population providing academic and immigration advising services, and new student orientation to meet the needs of the international student population. The International Student Advisor problem solves a variety of complex immigration issues requiring considerable knowledge of immigration rules and regulations. The International Student Advisor will assist International students with their personal and academic needs. The International Student Advisor will develop and grow international programming as well.
- Serve as the Designated School Official (DSO), maintaining the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and all related certification requirements. Organizing SEVIS data processing under the guidelines provided by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and maintains data and quality control management. Establishes, updates and tracks SEVIS files on a quarterly basis. The position will also serve as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 scholar program with the Department of State.
- Review student admissions form. Enters new student information in to the Student Information System. Work directly with the Iowa Wesleyan Recruitment Agents to facilitate the admissions process and issue the new student I-20s.
- Provide accurate immigration information to international students, keeping abreast of changes in federal rules and regulations, monitoring and tracking student immigration status, and maintaining appropriate files.
- Coordinate, advise, support, and plan programs that support the unique needs of international students and the F-1 Visa process including the development and implementation of retention strategies and new student orientation program.
- Serve as student advocate in matters related to grievances, grading issues, tuition appeals, and special financial arrangements.
- Work with international students on academic probation and suspension to develop an improvement plan; a monitor progress and identifies specific areas for tutoring assistance.
- Function as liaison with transfer institutions; refers students to appropriate college, community, and university contacts to assist with the transfer process.
- Drive a vehicle with up to 14 passengers.
- Liaison with insurance agencies.
- Negotiate new tuition rates with current and new agency partners.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with preference given to candidates with degrees in foreign language or international studies.
- Study abroad experience or extensive international travel experience is required.
- Proficiency in a foreign language is preferred.
- Experience working with a diverse student population.
- Ability to multi-task many variable duties, requests, and responsibilities.
- Strong interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work rotating evenings and weekends.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must submit their letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references at below. No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee is in need of further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.