WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE AND VALUE OF AN INTERNSHIP?
- Opportunity to test career possibilities
- Provides the opportunity to explore and clarify your major and career goals with professionals in the field, so you’ll know if the field is right for you
- May help you identify specific areas of interest you had not considered
- Allows you to evaluate likes and dislikes that will enable you to make informed career decisions
Marketability – Future Job Search
- Demonstrates your interest and motivation to pursue a particular career area
- May lead to a permanent job offer
- Opportunity to develop job-specific skills relevant to your career interests
- Assist in developing skills all employers want (i.e., teamwork, leadership, communication, problem-solving, technology)
- Helps you collect portfolio and resume material
- Provides you with a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references
- Locating and securing an internship prepares you for the search for a permanent position later on (i.e. locating appropriate jobs, writing resume and cover letter, interviewing)
Marketability – Graduate School
- Gives you experience to include on applications and in personal statements
- May assist you in targeting a specialized area of concentration
- Provides you with professional references
Supplements Academic Theory with Practical Training
- Adds meaning to your academic studies by allowing you to apply theories learned in the classroom to “work” situations.
Enhances Personal Development
- May increase confidence
- Aids in recognizing strengths and areas for improvement
- Helps you become aware of the difference you can make as a productive member of society
Internships Learning Outcomes
- Students will connect their curriculum to real world application.
- Students will better understand the daily functions of potential future employment in their field of interest.
Students will determine their interest in their potential field of employment.