Before checking into their residence hall, students must present written confirmation from a physician for one of the following:
- Proof and date of having had measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) or
- Documentation of 2 doses of immunization for MMR after 1980 or
- Written notice from a doctor that you should not receive MMR immunization at this time.
Students unable to comply with one of the above must be re-immunized at the student’s expense. Additionally, students residing in campus housing must have completed a Mantoux skin test for tuberculosis within a year prior to their arrival on campus and must provide verification of any follow-up treatment if necessary.
Each resident is assigned a mailbox. U.S. mail, official university notices, and inter-campus mail is delivered Monday through Friday.
Iowa Wesleyan University accepts no responsibility for lost or damaged belongings. Students should obtain property insurance. Check your homeowner’s policy to see if you need additional coverage.
Alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls or anywhere on campus.
Iowa Wesleyan University is a Smoke-Free campus. Smoking is not allowed in any of the residence halls or anywhere else on campus.
Air-conditioned rooms are limited. A physician-documented medical need must be presented with a request for an air conditioned room, however, the availability of an air conditioner is not guaranteed. Air-conditioned rooms cost an additional $100 per occupant, per semester. Due to fire safety and electrical loads, you may not bring and install your own air conditioner.
- Comforter or Bedspread
- Twin-size sheets (36′ x 80′)
- Clothes hangers
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
- Pillow and pillowcases
- Alarm clock
Roommates will want to discuss these items in advance:
- Rug/Floor covering
|Bicycle||Broom / vacuum|
|Bulletin board||Calendar / planner|
|Checkbook / debit card||Computer|
|Crates for stacking||Disk lamp|
|Desk supplies (pens, notebooks, etc.)||Drinking cups / silverware / plate / mug|
|Fan||Flip flops for the shower|
|High school yearbook||Laundry basket and detergent|
|Message board for door||Needle & thread|
|Photo album / pictures||Quarters|
|Shower caddy||Soft Chair / futon|
|Stamps / stationery||Surge protector|
|Wall decorations / posters||Wastebasket and trash bags|
The following items are prohibited from the residence hall rooms because of fire hazard potential and insurance regulations:
- Large paper or fabric wall hangings
- Non-UL-Listed appliances
- Air conditioners – including windowless
- Other than a microwave, cooking appliances of any kind are prohibited
- Halogen lamps, sunlamps, and spider arm lamps
- Gasoline, kerosene (all flammable fuels)
- Firearms or weapons of any kind
- Candles, incense or any other type of flame or burning unit
- Hammer, nails, power drills – Hammering holes into the halls is prohibited
- Double-sided sticky tape
- Pets (except for small aquarium fish)
Any items closely related to the above is forbidden in the residence halls. They are not permitted because they put you and those around you at risk. If you are not sure whether something is allowed, contact the office of Student Development at 319-385-6256.
What will I find in town for supplies?
Mount Pleasant has a variety of shops within walking distance of campus including Hy Vee, Dollar General, and Walmart, as well as many other local merchants with just about anything you could need or want.