A major in elementary education prepares students to teach grades K-6.
Elementary education majors will demonstrate:
- Commitment to students and their learning;
- Knowledge of the content and how to teach the content, skills, and dispositions to students;
- Responsibility for motivating, managing, and monitoring student learning;
- Reflective thinking about their practice and their experiences; and
- Interest in lifelong learning and participating in learning communities.
Elementary Education Major / Licensure
Prospective teachers seeking elementary licensure should plan, at least, a four-year program of study leading to an initial Iowa license. Every candidate must meet the College requirements for graduation. The courses listed on the attached Checksheet are required for State licensure as an elementary teacher and are mandatory for those graduating in 2015 and later.
Download Elementary Education Checksheet for required courses.
Elementary Education Checksheet
Elementary Education 12 hr. Concentration
In addition to the required courses, each candidate for an elementary school teaching license shall complete a concentration of 12 credit hours or more in a single academic field approved by the Chair of the Teacher Education Program.