Learn About Our Education Majors
Imparting the tools necessary to succeed in tomorrow’s classrooms.
Tomorrow’s educators must be ready to adapt quickly to a diverse array of challenges, from the personal to the technological. Each level, from pre-K through high school, is complete with demands and opportunities. The successful teacher will need the wherewithal to find solutions and impart knowledge while shifting gears constantly from classroom manager one moment to social worker and role model the next. At Iowa Wesleyan, you will receive the type of well-rounded education necessary to wear the many hats that will be required of you. We realize teaching is a calling, and we elevate the educational experience to address the needs of those who are drawn to the profession. The curriculum is rich with practical experience and innovative strategies designed to enhance your unique talents as a future educator.
- The Teacher Education Program is founded in a solid liberal arts curriculum that nourishes critical thinking.
- A Community of Learners provides majors with the support of like-minded peers and mentors.
- The program is accredited by the Iowa Department of Education and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges.
- A range of certifications, licensure and endorsements is available.
- Ninth-Semester Program
- Teacher in pre-K through high school
- School Administrator
- Education Consultant
- Curriculum Specialist
- Physical Education Teacher
- Athletic Coach
- Personal Trainer
At Iowa Wesleyan University, you will be spurred by an active, purposeful education, one that will challenge yo, excite you – and embolden you. In a uniquely encouraging community, you will explore and discover your unique potentials. You will identify your passion and pursue it in a rigorous, relevant curriculum. We encourage our education students to pursue multiple endorsements, giving them a competitive advantage in a competitive market.
Becca Kokjohn | Elementary Education Major
“I went to a very small high school, so I didn’t want a large university. I didn’t want to sit in a large classroom and just blend in . At IW, all my teachers know me, and they know my goals. They are always there for me with he help and encouragement I need.”