Charles Lewis StaffordPresident Stafford served Iowa Wesleyan from 1891 to 1899. In 1891 the Rev. Charles Lewis Stafford, an 1871 Iowa Wesleyan graduate and trustee, was elected president. Dr. Stafford was pastor of the Methodist Church in Muscatine and had been honored with a D.D. from Upper Iowa University in 1889. Most of his time at Iowa Wesleyan was devoted to fundraising and completing campus building projects. The unfinished Chapel and Science Hall was his first project. At the same time, with courageous faith, Dr. Stafford began solicitation for a ladies dormitory. By the summer of 1896, the funds were in hand and construction started. The Stafford building accomplishments in the Chapel and Hershey Hall represented the first major building construction since Old Main, 42 years before. Dr. Stafford presented his resignation in 1899.