Outstanding Student Accomplishments
“Our students exemplify our core values and Awards Day is an event that provides us an opportunity to celebrate our students and the significant contributions they make in the classroom and throughout the community,” said Steven E. Titus, President of the University.
The President’s Award, presented to a graduating senior, epitomizes a person who consistently demonstrates a responsible and selfless use of talent and leadership throughout his or her undergraduate experience. Nominees must be high academic achievers who have modeled exemplary academic effort and engagement. The 2017-2018 President’s Award was presented to Christian Henriksen ‘18. Christian is the son of John and Robin Henriksen from Mount Pleasant. A double major in biology and chemistry with an emphasis in pre-med, Christian has taken a leadership role on the football field, in the classroom, on campus, and in the community. He has worked tirelessly to achieve his goals and to improve the world around him.
Each academic division of the university presented awards specific to their majors. A listing of these awards can be viewed below.
Jacquez Hall, the recipient of the Tiger Spirit Award, signifies what it means to be an Iowa Wesleyan Tiger by displaying a positive attitude, sportsmanship, spirit, and pride. One nominator said, “This student truly epitomizes the Tiger Spirit Award as they live their life with gusto, generosity, and a commitment to go forth with the Spirit of a Tiger…..always.” Jacquez is a sophomore from Memphis, Tennessee.
Student Leader of the Year award recipient, Zoie Carney, is recognized as a student who has excelled and exemplified outstanding leadership, service, and dedication and has positively impacted growth, culture, and change at Iowa Wesleyan University and the community. From a field of seven nominees, Zoie’s quiet leadership, selflessness and absolute dedication to getting any task accomplished won the award. Zoie is a senior from Roscoe, Illinois.
Recognized for their unwavering support of Iowa Wesleyan’s internship program the Henry County Sherriff’s Office, Sherriff McNamee, and his entire team were awarded the Internship Partner of the Year award.
Congratulations to all of our award recipients. Complete list of our honorees is listed below.
Iowa Wesleyan University – As Southeast Iowa’s regional comprehensive university, Iowa Wesleyan University is a transformational learning community whose passion is to educate, empower and inspire students to lead meaningful lives and careers.
2018 Awards Day Recipients:
PRESIDENT’S AWARD: Christian Henriksen
Adjunct Faculty Excellence In Teaching Award: Sarah Frazier
- Nursing Student Leader of the Year: Cassidy Hays-Kujala
- Nursing Student Mentor of the Year: Karina Escobar
- Nursing Student Professional of the Year: Ronald Swain
- Graduating Business Administration Senior: Darby Massner
- Business Administration Junior/Sophomore: Eli Westercamp
- Business Administration Freshman: Lee Fiala
- AGS Student: Jennifer Bermel
- Human Services: Olivia Barton
- Psychology: Kendra Hefner
- Criminal Justice: Matt Murphy
- Biology: Christian Henriksen
- Exercise Science and Wellness Major of the Year: Joselyn Zerrusen
- Physical Edu cation Major of the Year: Ariel Smale
- Elementary Education Major of the Year: Tina Sargent
- Student Teacher of the Year: Lauri Allen
- English: Kendra Hefner
- Music: Joshua Morey
- Art / DM D: Nena Matthew
- Tiger Spirit Award: Jacquez Hall
- Organization Adviser of the Year: Professor Lisa Kongable
- Emerging Leader of the Year: Oscar Martinez
- Unsung Hero Award: Ellen Geiselman
- Student Leader of the Year: Zoie Carney
- Student Organization of the Year: CRU
- Spirit of Service Award: Trent Paschal
- Internship Partner of the Year: Henry County Sheriff’s Department