Adult & Graduate Course Registration Procedures


Students are strongly encouraged to preregister for classes. Preregistration offers preference in classes open to limited enrollment. It also assists in forecasting enrollment to avoid cancellation of limited-size classes and helps determine if an adequate number of texts and supplies have been ordered. It also assists the instructor in preparing course outlines and handout materials. Some scheduled courses have registration deadlines.


Official registration is confirmed at the first class meeting. A registration for any class at the first day or any subsequent meeting is considered as an official registration and billings will be based on those registrations. Failure to attend class after the official registration has been confirmed will not cancel the obligation to pay for assessed tuition and text chargesĀ 

Changes of Registration–Adult and Graduate

Add/drops are permitted freely and at no charge during the normal add/drop periods as listed below. There will be no tuition charge for students who drop credit hours and no record of enrollment in a “dropped” course will appear on the transcript. All classes added or dropped after the term has begun must be properly requested through the Adult and Graduate Studies Office. Nonattendance of a class does not constitute a drop or withdrawal, and the student becomes liable for full or prorated tuition charges as noted below. Please note that a student who wishes to “drop” the only course in which they are enrolled during a term, may be considered as withdrawing from the College – see “Complete withdrawal from Iowa Wesleyan University” below.

Deadlines to Add a course

Noon on Wednesday following the opening of the class

Deadlines to Drop a course

Noon on Friday following the opening of the course

Withdrawal from a class (reduction of a portion of a student’s course load without a letter grade being posted) may take place during the time between the drop deadline and completion of 60% of the course length – after which a letter grade for the course will be awarded. Consistent with all part-time students who withdraw from a portion of their credit load, 100 percent tuition will be charged after the normal add/drop period has expired; however those students affected will remain eligible for any financial aid awarded prior to the withdrawal. In such cases, the Registrar, the Financial Aid Office and the Business Office will be notified by the Adult and Graduate Studies Office upon notification by the student. A “W” will be recorded on the transcript.

Complete withdrawal from Iowa Wesleyan University reflects cases in which an Adult and Graduate Studies student have withdrawn from all credit hours for which they were registered in a given term beyond the add/drop period. In such cases, Federal guidelines stipulate that tuition is refunded according to the formulas published elsewhere in this Catalog. Withdrawal from Iowa Wesleyan University is not permitted within the final seven days of an 8-week term.

A change from letter grade to audit or S/U must be requested prior to the third class meeting of a face-to-face course (or prior to the completion of 25% of the course length in online courses or courses not following a regular term schedule). Normally, tuition charges are not recalculated in these cases.

A change from audit or S/U to a letter grade must be requested prior to the sixth class meeting of a face-to-face course (or prior to completion of 50% of the course length in online courses or courses not following a regular term schedule. When an Adult and Graduate Studies student changes from an audit to a letter grade, tuition is normally recalculated to reflect the change in credit hour status.

Special Note regarding Changes of Registration

For classes/programs not following the normal 8-week Adult and Graduate Studies term (e.g. weekend courses, full semester courses, directed studies), deadlines and appropriate charges will be calculated as they correlate to the 8-week time frame, or as determined by a host school in cases where IWU students have enrolled for IWU credit.

Financial Aid

Adult and Graduate Studies students may be eligible to receive financial assistance through the Federal Pell Grant, Iowa Tuition Grant, and student loans. Students interested in obtaining a loan will need to be enrolled at least half-time. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office, toll-free, 800.582.2383 or 319.385.6242 or

Cooperative Agreements with Community Colleges Iowa Wesleyan University cooperates with area community colleges in providing convenient education at the bachelor’s degree level to the citizens of southeastern Iowa. Select degree completion programs are offered with classes online and in the evening on various campuses. Contact the Adult and Graduate Studies Office for a list of majors, courses, and locations. Other reciprocal agreements exist regarding the exchange of courses, credit hours and services. Programs have been developed in which a student may complete an AA or AS degree at the community college, complete the Bachelor’s degree through Iowa Wesleyan University and then earn a Masters degree by attending evening classes offered by area universities. Contact the Office of Adult and Graduate Studies for more information.

Southeastern Community College and Iowa Wesleyan University have entered into two special cooperative programs to serve the needs of learners in Southeast Iowa. Students who have completed an A.A. degree at SCC with a focus in Chemical Dependency Counseling can transfer that program in special articulation with Iowa Wesleyan University’s Human Services major to earn a Bachelor’s degree.

Southeastern Community College students who have completed an A.A., A.S., or A.A.S. degree with prescribed coursework in Industrial Technology are able to transfer to Iowa Wesleyan and use that coursework toward meeting the State of Iowa Department of Education Teaching Endorsement (#14.141-11) in Industrial Technology for grades 7-12. Please seek additional information from the Iowa Wesleyan University Teacher Education program.

Contact the Iowa Wesleyan University Office of Adult and Graduate Studies for details about cooperative programs.

Credit for Life Learning

Iowa Wesleyan University recognizes that college-level learning can and does take place outside of the collegiate setting. The University also recognizes that not every experience produces college-level learning. Therefore, Iowa Wesleyan University has established a process to determine if college-level learning has indeed occurred and the amount of academic credit appropriate for that learning.

Often, other methods of assessing and awarding college credit are satisfactory to the student and to the University. Thus established credit awarding processes (e.g. CLEP subject exams, American Council on Education evaluations of armed services experiences, college credit recommendations of non-collegiate sponsored instruction and the University’s credit by examination process) must be explored before making use of the Credit for Life Learning assessment process.

Assuming the established credit awarding processes are not applicable, the student may submit a credit request based on a critical self-examination of “what learning has occurred” as reflected in a written portfolio document. Credit awarded can be course specific or in a more general context, especially if the credit is outside the major the student is pursuing.

Please contact the Office of Adult and Graduate Studies for guidelines, and/ or a pre-assessment form.