Academic Service-Learning Standards
Course Based, Credit Bearing, Reflective, and Connected Service
Learning is a course based, credit-bearing experience in which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflects on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility. (Bringle & Hatcher, 1996, p. 2)
Minimum Standards for Service-Learning (SL) at Iowa Wesleyan
IW is an all academic service-learning platform and has service requirement for graduates. The following requirements include:
- Having an SL course or an SL optional designation in your course schedule.
- A minimum of 15 service hours devoted to direct service and service related reflection.
- Having an SL project noted in the course syllabus.
- Having at least one reflection activity in which students can reflect on the value of the service to themselves and others. These could be included with existing assignments such as a section of a written paper, etc. Ideas for reflection include journals, in – class discussions, blogs, video diaries, presentations, written assignments, etc. The SLCE office will continue to host a service fair each semester. If you would like students in your class to present about the SL project in your class during the fair as part of their reflection you are welcome to do so. Contact the SLCE office for information and assistance.
- Ensuring that the project or projects are connected to course learning objectives.
- Receive recommendation for approval by the Service-Learning Advisory Committee and final approval by the Director of Service-Learning to ensure project meets objectives listed above.
The Director of Service Learning will request faculty verification of Service-Learning components and the number of hours dedicated to the project via an electronic submission form.
The SL Director, Fred Miller encourages faculty to contact them for assistance developing, revising, facilitating, or evaluating SL projects. Call 319-385-6422 or email email@example.com