Iowa Wesleyan Graduate Programs
Iowa Wesleyan University offers a unique setting for continuing education. Experienced faculty provides a diverse classroom experience and real world applications, ensuring unparalleled success.
Iowa Wesleyan offers a new graduate certificate in Strategic Leadership along with new graduate courses designed for working professionals in the fields of business, education, healthcare and counseling.
The Strategic Leadership Graduate Certificate equips professionals with skills for a rewarding career.
As with many things in life, not all graduate school programs are created equal; similar degrees and programs can vary significantly by an institution. For example, there may be differences in public policy vs. public administration programs. A graduate program in counseling may not be in the psychology department. Rather, it may be housed in the school of education. It is imperative that you, as a potential graduate student, do thorough research to ensure you are applying to programs that match both your educational philosophy and long term goals.
So, where do I start?
You may be thinking about graduate school as a logical next step in your career. Deciding whether and when to go, finding the best programs and preparing successful graduate school applications can be daunting. One good starting point is having conversations with professors and people in the position you one day hope to hold. Reach out to the Alumni Office and get connected with former IW students who are working in a career you are interested in. What degree did they earn? Ask them if they will share their insight into particular graduate programs.
From there, investigate on your own:
- Look at professional organizations – they often have information for students interested in the field.
- Check out graduate school reference books – these are often tailored to certain types of programs.
- Learn about program accreditation for the field – this can affect job prospects after graduation
- Familiarize yourself with research in your field of interest through academic journals
- Read graduate school rankings, such as those published by the US News and World Report. They can give you an idea of a school’s status — but don’t forget to look at the individual program and not just the institution as a whole.
- Research faculty bios and current graduate student profile on university websites.
- Lastly, stop into the Career Development office for additional assistance and information!